Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New limited gun

Rick E

Was thinking about a new limited gun. Been shooting a 38 super. But was talking to limcat about a wildcat. They said mostly do those in 40's. that's the most popular. What caliber would you guys choose or prefer. I was thinking about 9mm x 19.

Heh, I think everyone here's going to tell you what you already know - most will choose a 40. I'm a masochist in SS minor, so I have little to give you other than it does seem like way more people shoot 40 major than 9 minor in Limited.

I was thinking maybe 9mm because lower

Recoil/better accuracy.

You will be at a disadvantage because the 9mm is scored as Minor Power Factor versus the 40s&w is scored as Major Power Factor (assuming you make the Power Factor limitations in the rules).

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

A good limited good in 40 shoots pretty flat. a buddy of mine shoots SS minor and I shoot SS major he never could over come the scoring difference between the two, even having more bullets . GO 40 MAJOR

Scoring concerns aside, if you have for another reason you want to shoot 9mm i.e. cost, other guns in same caliber, dabble in 3gun, etc... don't necessarily be dissuaded from minor.

I recently shot a 9mm limited gun (SDC, bushing barrel) and the difference in recoil is noticable compared to my 40 (LDC, bull barrel). It's almost like rimfire - not quite, but almost.

my $.02 is this. If you only/mostly shoot USPSA pistol matches go .40. If you shoot a bunch of 3 Gun I'd consider 9mm. You can still use it for Limited minor and most 3 Gun matches use time plus scorring so you don't have major/minor point differences.

I was thinking maybe 9mm because lower

Recoil/better accuracy.

Huh? Better Accuracy?

I have a Glock 35 Limited and I can shoot 2" groups at 20 yards, and with a Trigger Job, Grip Job, and a Seattle Slug, I don't notice the recoil. Try one out that you are thinking of betore you make any decisions.

And yes, if you are going to shoot Limited, go Major.