Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with 223 loads

Desmo412

Up to this point, I have only loaded pistol cartridges. I will be loading for a standard 1:9 twist 16" Bushmaster AR. Loading will be done on a Hornady LNL. I bought a Redding small base bushing style sizing die (with a few bushing sizes to get started), Forster seating die, Little Crow Gunworks trimmer, Hornady primer pocket reamer, and the necessary shellplate. Have CFE223 and H335 on hand. Hornady 50gr Zombie max bullets (don't laugh, there isn't much available right now), Nosler 52gr Custom Comps, and Nosler 50gr Varmint bullets on their way. Will probably be using either Federal 205s or Tula SRM Primers. I figured I wouldn't need to crimp once I got the sizing die dialed in with the correct bushing.

If anyone with some starting load data or just helpful tips could chime in, I would really appreciate it

Thanks

Glenn

Your really gonna like those 52gr Nosler Custom Comps. I got stuck in the same predicament recently and it was a pleasant surprise. My Noveske 1 in 7 twist barrel really loves them for some reason. My sweet spot with H335 is 27.5gr, I was also doing pretty good with 26.5gr of Win 748.

I load to magazine length, and use a Lee Collet Neck die after the full length size die. I don't crimp at all, haven't been since I started reloading with a collet neck die. You can get a feel for how strong the bullet is held after you get a few open with a kinetic bullet puller. The collet sets the neck tension, and holds the bullet just as firm as a light crimp. I've never had a bullet set back on me in any AR using this method.

Your really gonna like those 52gr Nosler Custom Comps. I got stuck in the same predicament recently and it was a pleasant surprise. My Noveske 1 in 7 twist barrel really loves them for some reason. My sweet spot with H335 is 27.5gr, I was also doing pretty good with 26.5gr of Win 748.

27.5 gr of H335 is over max by about a .8 grain or more depending on the data. Use with caution.

Edited by mizer67

I'm at 26.2gr of H335 with 55gr. NBT. I have no pressure signs and have loaded thousands of rounds with this load with no problemo. Most accurate load I have ever tested. I'd start at 25grs and work up from there with any of the heads you listed. I also use no crimp, neck tension only. OAL is 2.240. 3033fps, 18" 1:8 twist bbl.

• 3 months later...

My Zombie max 50gr are on the truck headed this way. I picked up some benchmark, any ideas of a good load for those 100 yard and under carbine matches, I have a 20" 1/9 and an 18" 1/8. Magtech rifle primers.

I'm in the same boat, have a good stock of 69gr Matchkings loaded for the longshots, some 68gr Hornady?, 52gr Nozlers seem to work good, and now the Z-Max. Ran out of TAC. Most are blemished bullets but I can't find a blemish on them.