Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silly front sight question

G34 CORDY

I have been shooting with a red fiber optic front sight on my production guns and I think Iam leaving something on the table is far as accuracy compared to a black front side. I had a Springfield RO with black sights and I could call my shoots very easy never competed or fast doubles with it just range time. I have a new limited gun on the way and want to try a black front sight. Iam not sure if I want to hard chrome or have it finished black, my question is do you guys have problems picking up a black sight quickly on a black gun? Does it blend in to much for fast follow up shots or is hard chrome easier to pick up the black front sight because the contrast of color? I only experience is with fiber optic for competition but I feel Iam drawing to much of my attention to it on steel, tight and long shots so that's why I want to change over to black. I know it's a silly question but I had to ask.

do you guys have problems picking up a black sight quickly on a black gun? Does it blend in to much for fast follow up shots or is hard chrome easier to pick up the black front sight because the contrast of color?

No and not if you're using it like it's meant to be used (they stick up on top of the gun for a reason).

do you guys have problems picking up a black sight quickly on a black gun? Does it blend in to much for fast follow up shots or is hard chrome easier to pick up the black front sight because the contrast of color?

No and not if you're using it like it's meant to be used (they stick up on top of the gun for a reason).

I know how to use sights and know they stick up for a reason Iam just asking a question Iam not stupid come on man. Just wanted to see what everyone had to say that was informational.

Edited by G34 CORDY

Any chance that some of the difference that you perceived was due to the different platforms? Plastic gun vs steel, etc.? Ive heard a lot of talk about folk going back to black, but I don't think that any color is better for everyone. Its all about what you as an individual see/shoot with the best.

My current production gun is a steel CZ Shadow with a red fiber optic, when my new limited gun comes in today I believe Iam going to shoot it with the black sight at a match and see which one i like better. The fiber for me is great up close but at distance Iam not as confident so Iam going to do alittle experimenting with this.

If you look at the article/pics in the latest Front Sight magazine, the Top 3 shooters in Limited are using Fiber Optics.

And I'm pretty sure they know a little bit about shooting iron sights! Lol

Edited by Chris Keen

I used to use a red fiber optic front sight on my limited gun, but as I've gotten older I've found that I'm more accurate with a plain black front sight and that is all I use now. I've had blued slides and hard chrome slides through the years and it's been my experience that if you're concentrating on the front sight properly you'll never notice what color the slide is.

They might know a thing or two lol. I never tried black in uspsa so Iam going to give it a whirl and if I don't like it back to fiber.

I did that bounce back in production a number of years ago. Found a bit of improvement using the black but that faded once I got used to it. Jumped back to fiber and had another upturn. All this on a G34.

I do some dry firing with my 34 and occasionally pull out the G22 which has black front, and find I really don't like it that much. YMMV.

Just came down to what I saw better with which was the green fiber. As we say for everything, pick one, practice and all will be well.