Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legally Constructed AR's

JerryShoots

So apparently you can buy a hunk of aluminum or some other appropriate material and mill it into a working AR receiver and that's perfectly legal as long as it's for your own use and you can never sell it or transfer it or take it out of the state.

Here's the questions:

- Where can I read all about this?

- Has anyone published a book on the matter?

- Are there schematics for the AR that can be used to do this?

- Can I take it to a match?

Here's the other questions:

- What does a person have to do to actually get permission to build, register and assign a serial number to one? Not to sell just to have a personally branded rifle

- Has anyone done this and what experiences can you offer on the subject?

Thanks

Sounds cool, but honestly I would not touch one with a 10 foot pole. Think about the person (in my case my daughter) that could wind up with a "no serial number" gun after you meet your maker, and doesn't know what to do with it. Or worse, is clueless and tries selling it to a LEO of some type. I think there is plenty of custom work to do on top of a nice and legal receiver that people down the road won't be put in a pickle over. Just sayin'

Its legal, it can be done, but for a one off, its expensive. The popular way to go is buy an 80% complete lower and then finish it yourself. If you are willing to buy the jigs, it can even be done with a few hand tools.

Its really designed for the hobbyist, not the competitor. And there is nothing that says you cannot add a serial number unless you plan on building in quantity (I believe the number is 5). Then you need a manufacturer's FFL.

I've not seen a restriction to moving it across state lines as long as there is no restrictions against AR's in that state.

Bill

http://mujahadeenar15a2.tripod.com/

Hmmm... IANAL, however, the way it was explained to me is the issue is not that you can't sell it, but that you can't construct it for the purpose of selling it. However, to be perfectly safe you could always write to ATF ask for an opinion.

The jigs are about $125 and all you need is a good drill press. Google 80 percenters and you'll probably find the thread on AR15.com that has the link to the company that sells the jigs and the blanks. Add the cost of the blanks and whatever coating you put on them and it was never really cost effective when you could buy stripped lowers for $70. Nowadays maybe not such a bad idea to have if you want to stay off the grid or if they become unavailable. An 80% blank is NOT considered a firearm and therefore would not legally be considered for confiscation.

Some machine shops host "build parties" where they have a CNC machine all set up, you buy an 80% lower and just 'push the button' to finish it off. Last I saw it was around $300 for a stripped lower (more if you want custom engraving on it).

And some parties have been crashed and shut down…just sayin'…be careful.

To the op. Go to cncguns and look around. There is link to the atf in the frequently asked questions on the forum. Under the projects sections there I am pretty sure you will find a lot more answers that I can provide.

You can fill out a form with ATF and build your own gun after it is approved. It is just like building your own SBR. It now takes forever to get the paper work approved because the 4 people they had in West VA. that processed the requests has been reduced to one person. I don't think they will be adding additional people either.

Nice info. Let's keep it going. It sounds like I either need a very carefully spelled out provision in my will explaining the status of these. I suppose I could see three directions on that front... One would be to call for their destruction in the event of my death... Two would be destruction or direct inheritance to my sole survivor or a chosen heir and allow the named heir or survivor to choose to keep it in a similar status to the one I held it in or destroy it if they don't wish to have it... Third I could place them in trust but I don't know if that would jive.

Also a few notes on intent or my reasoning for taking interest.

I'm less concerned with avoiding the registration of a serialized lower but more interested in the custom features a home build could offer me. I had visions of actually milling one into a neat cut away model for my wall with all the pins and hammer etc duracoated different colors. I also thought it would be cool to incorporate a big mag well in one or mill a grip right into the lower so I could put 1911 grips on it.

A lower and upper made of stainless and monolithic could be really really cool for a long barrel precision rifle. I could even go as far as to re scale the dimensions and have a working miniature that would do everything but fire (unless I made some custom round for it but I'm not that ambitious) hehe imagine a GI Joe sized gun that had removable mags and a working charging handle!!!!

In other words I'm daydreaming. If I luck out and get to actually make that daydream come true someday I'd like to do it on the right side of the law.

I could place them in trust but I don't know if that would jive.

If an AWB went down like it did in CA, you would have a grace period in which to register your homemade AR, if you did it would have to be destroyed at your death; if you didn't, anyone in possession of it would be guilty of a felony regardless of who owns it. You can own the property in trust, but that has nothing to do with the legal registration.

You can fill out a form with ATF and build your own gun after it is approved. It is just like building your own SBR. It now takes forever to get the paper work approved because the 4 people they had in West VA. that processed the requests has been reduced to one person. I don't think they will be adding additional people either.

What happened with the people in WV? Thats where i am from and curious. If you can share a link or a basic run down for me I would appreciate it.

Check your state laws first. You can build a ar lower from a 0%-80% forging or it depends on your skill level and equipment you have or of billet, but You have to build it no one ELSE someone can sit thier and tell you how to do it, but cant do the work. You dont have to put a ss number on it but it is advisable, if get stolen or leo sees it with no number they will presume stolen. You can sell it but you have to put your Name and address on it. most people dont for the liabilty of it. Not everybody has the talent/equipment to build thier own. thier alot of plans out thier if you look for them. You can build alot of other guns/pistols if you can find a parts kit. some guns you have to follow the rules set by the ATF. Hope this helps here is a good gun building site with alot of very cool builds.

http://www.weaponsguild.com

• 4 weeks later...

The people in W VA were transferred to different departments. I talked to the gentleman that needed additional paperwork on my SBR and asked why it was taking so long for approvals ( my previous one only took 60 days ). He informed me that he was the only one doing the approvals at that time. With the government cut backs I doubt they will be increasing the staff.