Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets

jkatz44

I picked up some bayou bullets to try out in my 9L and my 9pro. I bought 124, 135 and 147 gr bullets.(100 of each)

Ive always shot 147 MG but I'm curious to see your guys' opinion on these bullets.

Anyone have experience with bayous? What are your favorite loads? Would titegroup be too dirty?

Thanks,

Jason

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my m&ps and glocks love the 135's with super field. Just under 4 grains, give or take by barrel length and brand. Was in the shop there Monday, he's cranking out as much as he can.

I've been shooting his 124's with 4.1 of Solo 1000. Nice load and group really out of my daughter M&P Pro.

Sounds like solo might be a good option...if I want to try 135/147 any idea on starting charge? With MG 147, I was using 3.3-3.4 gr TG at 1.130 for PF of 130.

Edited by jkatz44

I got the same trial packs and so far my Shadow prefers the 135gr. I was out of n320 so I loaded up some titegroup that i had on hand. A little smoke but not like using lead or molys, like shooting exposed lead base FMJ's. Really pleased with how well they group, so I ordered a case last week. Donnie said 5-7 weeks.

WSF is Super Field, uses identical powder charges to Unique without the flaky powder issues and a lot less smoke. Medium speed.

WSL was Super Light. Identical to today's TiteGroup although Hodgdon says it's different. Faster burning, less rocket effect.

WST is Super Target. Faster, almost like N310. Seems okay in 9mm but iffy for making Major in a 40 LTD gun.

231 is the old standard for 45 ACP. Very smoky and fairly dirty powder.

Jason if you get yourself some mags you can borrow my back-up Shadow and DAA holster, I'm using the CompTac holster now.

Edited by eric nielsen

3.8 grains of WST under that 135 grain bullet = one happy camper..........

Is this with m&p 5in? OAL?

OAL = 1.130

M&P 5 inch pro and also in my 4 inch M&P. When I was shooting a CZ -75 SP01 I also used this load.

So it seems like 135 gr should be around 3.7-3.8 and 147 gr should be around 3.3-3.4...?

Also, can anyone explain the differences between the different Winchester powders?(WSF,WST, 231)

You are right on the money guessing 3.3 - 3.4 grains of WST and a 147 grain bullet.

WSF is Super Field, uses identical powder charges to Unique without the flaky powder issues and a lot less smoke. Medium speed.

WSL was Super Light. Identical to today's TiteGroup although Hodgdon says it's different. Faster burning, less rocket effect.

WST is Super Target. Faster, almost like N310. Seems okay in 9mm but iffy for making Major in a 40 LTD gun.

231 is the old standard for 45 ACP. Very smoky and fairly dirty powder.

Jason if you get yourself some mags you can borrow my back-up Shadow and DAA holster, I'm using the CompTac holster now.

Eric,

Thanks for the info. So it seems that WSF or WST might be the best bet for production with bayou bullets? By the way, I may take you up on that offer. Always been interested in trying out CZs...

I've shot Bayou 40-cal bullets (as well as Black Bullet International moly bullets) and they smoked more than I like with TiteGroup; the same Bayous shot great with a minimal amount of smoke using N320. Don't have WST, I can give you the rest of my WSF (1/2-lb) but that's probably too slow a powder for Production.

Right now I have 9 mags for the pair of Shadows, if I get a line on couple more then I could lend you the 5-6 you'll need. I think that gun has a bigger learning curve than the XDm. I didn't settle on a grip technique until 9 stages into the State match; now I'm smacking myself on the forehead, it's so easy I can show you in 5 seconds. By then end I was hitting 25-yard US poppers with the DA pull.

I think I will probably like 147 gr bayous the best since Ive shot only 147s the past three years...

So the million dollar question...which powder?!

Sounds like the most common are solo, WST, and n320. Decisions decisions...

Alright last question here...

I'm going to try and load sone bayous with titegroup. I shot somebody's today and it didn't smoke bad at all.

So what powder charge should I use with 124, 135, 147gr? I know with jacketed bullets, 124 is around 4.1, and 147 at 3.3.(don't know if bayous are around the same with titegroup?)

Anyone have experience with TG and bayous? (using m&p 5in btw)