MarkR929

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Still having trouble finding a gunsmith that can cut and thread the barrel. Took it to one and he said the barrel was "too hard"??? Others are busy or don't answer/return phone calls. I'm amazed any of these guys stay in business.

After much waiting on Eaa for my 6 inch barrel I too am ready to undertake this same project. (Match in 10mm with same comp.) I really don't want to ship it out and wait 2-3 months so I am exploring my options locally. I will call my gunsmith tomorrow and see what he says.

Mark that guiderod looks great! Let me know how it works I may have to buy one off you!!

Edited by Dugiv

Dugiv, the rod I made was truely a labor of love ( and complete irritation from EAA and others). I only made two and the first was a bit too small diameter (started with a 1/4" bolt, second was a 5/16 and the "Henning"-style end). I could attempt a second one but it takes me 3+ hours of constant work, make an offer and I'll see.

Let me know what your smith says, If he can do it I may be ready to ship mine to him to do also.

I'll let you know how it works the next time I'm out but the weather in MN sucks the last few days! (3 weeks behind where we should be).

kneelingatlas, does it matter that my gun is a large frame? and I still have little/no clue as to how to thread barrel correctly (so compensator turns on to proper location)??? and what kind of price are you talking about? I can't believe I'm saying this, but, I'm really close to attempting it myself.

Just got off the phone with the gunsmith. He can made a guiderod no problem however he doesn't have a M14x0.75 thread die, only down to a M14x0.75. He said hes looking around to see if he can get the die but if he can't he can thread it to the standard 45 auto size threads (.575X40). long story short he says he can defiantly do it as he has a lathe and tons of tooling. This is probobly the simplest project that i've given him and his quality of work is great. I went through 3 gunsmiths who did crappy work, not answer calls and generally screw it up. Later today i will be dropping off my pistol.

• 2 weeks later...

May have finally found a Gunsmith that is pretty certain he can cut, recrown and thread barrel for compensator and for less than $50. The only downer is that I will need to drive 2 hours one way but I've driven farther for less and this guy seems confident he can do it. After taking it there and if he can do it I'll just have him ship it back to me so I don't have to drive it again.

• 1 month later...

Gunsmith turned my nice Henning style end down to original style end WITHOUT my approval or asking......NOT COOL!!! Not sure why, perhaps because it was a tight fit past the barrel lug. Should not have mattered as I discussed that issue with him when I dropped it off. He offered to make me a new one ( at no charge ) but I need to send him dimensions, which of course I don't have as I made the part custom to fit. I just can't understand how anyone could do that to someone's hard work without asking, perhaps he's just a dumbass like so many I came across on this journey ( not including anyone on this site ). Oh well, here's photos

post-45568-0-87646300-1370661390_thumb.j

post-45568-0-15900300-1370661436_thumb.j

comp was loose on first shooting and ran out of time, seemed good what I could make of it, will try again in next day or two depending on weather. thread was 13.5x.75 or at least that's what the smith told me

• 2 weeks later...

do a google search for usm fab-defense universal scope mount, that should get you to somewhere where you can buy it online, they only come in black anodized so if you want silver like mine you'll need to do the oven cleaner in a bucket deal to remove the black then use some silver polish and voila, one nice silver mount. Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can be of further help.