Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with getting compensator on Match 10mm

MarkR929

OK, I'm having some issues getting my idea accomplished and I figured this forum would be a good place to try to get some info and or help. I have a Witness Match in 10mm. I would LIKE to install a compensator (2/dual port preferably) on it but it is becoming a difficult process. I know I'll need a longer barrel (6") and a longer guide rod, both will need to be cut down and the barrel will be threaded. The current guide rod spring should be usable. I've contacted EAA and Tanfoglio and neither one has a "kit" that will fit so that's out. I could buy a standard upper and and comp kit but that gets spendy and defeats my purpose of buying a Match. Does anyone have any ideas or helpful info. I know it won't be cheap but it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg plus my first born. I have found one used comp on a different forum but the person doesn't respond to emails. One last question, is a .40 comp the same as a 10mm? I know the diameter is the same but does the longer cartridge make a difference?

Thanks to anyone who can help

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First answer is yes, a .40 and a 10mm are the same bullet, just a different case so the same comp works for both but .38 comps are far more common and it's not a big deal to ream it out. If I understand your plan you're talking about something like this?:

ProjectMiniMe_zpsf695061b.jpg

This is my small frame Tanfoglio 9mm with a compact slide and a standard barrel cut to 4.125" and thread M14X0.75 for the stock Tanfoglio comp I got from Numrich; they have a two-port .40 comp which may or may not be the large frame model you need: http://www.gunpartsc...cts/1291760.htm (just looking at the picture I would guess small frame), they also have a .38 super two-port (http://www.gunpartsc...cts/1291700.htm) which would be large frame and could be reamed for your 10mm. Numrich has a great return policy, so I just bought all their 9mm comps and returned the one's I didn't want. If EAA has a barrel for the Witness Hunter 10mm (6") in stock you should be off to the races, but I'm not sure the two-port is going to make you completely happy (my two port comp works ok with minor pf 9mm).

If I were in your position, here's what I would do:

-buy a conefit Thundercomp 2 (http://www.1911store...undercomp2.aspx)

-ream the exit holes to.4125" ish

-turn the end of your current barrel down to .575" (it's 15mm right now, or .591")

-thread it .575X40 to match the comp

-open up the front of the slide like a Limited to accommodate the cone fit barrel and pull it out the front (need to use Henning's guide rod bushing: http://henningshoots...upperparts.html)

mod_article5435691_2.jpg?6703

You would still be using your stock barrel and slide and would have a kick ass comp; with all the gas that mighty 10mm is blowing, it should run great!

Are you looking to shoot USPSA Open Division? or just to tame the recoil and have a cool (and loud!) range toy?

Edited by kneelingatlas

That sounds a bit over-ambitious for me. I basically just want to add a compensator leaving me the possibility of returning to the existing setup so I'll have to go with a longer barrel and have it cut down and threaded. My motives are to tame muzzle lift and cosmetic, I just think compensators look cool. If by some chance of luck I could find a comp that continues the entire length of it and doesn't have the cut-out underneath that would be better. The look of yours is very similar to what I am looking for except my Match is a full-size frame. Is there a performance difference between SS and black comps or is it only cosmetic? I also have a Hogue grip on the way and intend on installing it as soon as it arrives.

Mark, here's what you do: Google Images search until you find a EAA Witness Hunter with a clear serial number, call EAA, give them the number and tell them you want a 6" barrel and guide rod, they may not have the barrel in stock but it's you best bet. If you want parts, but don't have a serial number to match they give you all kinds of static.

I tried calling EAA and their phone system sucks, 3 tries and 3 disconnects, I'll try again another time. Tried emailing them also, not holding my breath there either. Numrich was busy all 3 times I tried them, will try them another time also.

Ordered 6" barrel and longer Guide rod from EAA and dual port compensator from Numrich today, now I just need to find someone in MN to cut barrel down and thread it, thinking I'll try Laib's first, then Ahlmann's but I'm open to suggestions of someone has better ideas. Once I get it all done I'll put up pics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally received parts from EAA, No big surprise, the guide rod was the wrong one, should have been longer but was shorter and now I have to wait on them again to fix their screw-up. I would think in this economy, customer service would be a higher priority. I know they (along with all the other gun companies) are busy but I already waited my turn, they simply blew it, I shouldn't have to wait again.

I told them I needed a longer than stock one and they said OK but then sent a shorter one anyway. So now I get to wait till one of their genius "techs" call me back to get the correct one. You wouldn't think it should be that tough, the stock one is 4-1/8" and I need one about 4-1/2" to 4-5/8" and if need be I'll have it cut down or I can even do it myself. I did however talk to a gunsmith who said he would cut the barrel down and thread it for $80 and it should be done in about a week.

Edited by MarkR929

Try to use terminology they can (hopefully) understand. The 4.75" is the long slide, the 4.5" is the "standard" and the 3.8 is the compact. Then you have the 6", which to me is the "long" but I dunno what they call it.. ;)

Haven't gotten that far yet, I'll let you know when I find that out. Anyone have any ideas or info on lengths of other guide spring rods? I know my existing Match is 4-1/8" and the hole in the comp is just a touch over 1/2" so if I got one between 4-1/2" and 4-5/8" I should be good to go. If anyone knows exactly which gun that length is, or even longer, please let me know so I can continue to do EAA's job for them and get what I needed from the start.

Mark, I think the only way to go is going to be to get the guide rod from a Hunter or one of the new 5" barrel models and cut it to fit. The guide rod just needs to stick out maybe a 1/4" when the slide is in battery, if it sticks too far into the comp, it will lock up since the comp cams back with the barrel when you pull the slide back.

I would think if you smith can thread the barrel, he can make you a guide rod too? You can even turn down a bolt to make one.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, about 1/4" should do it, I also tried emailing henning gun parts but no response back yet on if they/he could make one or has something that would work. It just pisses me off that EAA screws it up and I have to wait on them again.

Anybody with a lathe could make a guide rode pretty easy. It would be about the easiest part to make on these guns (besides the pins).

The only issue with the Hunter/Bullseye guiderod is that it has a solid block thing that makes up the extra 1 1/4". I don't know how that would work on shorter slide. The dust cover might hit.

But then again I guess I could just go in the shop and find out.........

Solid Block thing??????? Shouldn't it just be the same diameter, just 1/4" longer? One other question, does it matter if it's necked down or not? the stock one in my match is, I can't see any reason it should matter either way.

Solid Block thing??????? Shouldn't it just be the same diameter, just 1/4" longer? One other question, does it matter if it's necked down or not? the stock one in my match is, I can't see any reason it should matter either way.

The one in the Match is necked down so you can get it in under the barrel lug, I have one that isn't and I have a hell of a time getting the angle right.