Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 Mile High Showdown - Ramah, CO

The 2013 Mile High Showdown will take place on June 14 - 16 and is a Level II USPSA Pistol match consisting of 12 stages requiring a minimum of 290 rounds. Awards will be distributed per USPSA Guidelines. There will be a prize table that will be distributed by random drawing during the awards ceremony. Current USPSA membership is required to enter event. Entry will be limited to 120 total competitors (48 on Friday, 72 on Sat/Sun). Competitors can choose to shoot the whole match on Friday, or shoot in a two day format on Saturday / Sunday. Online Self Squading will be available on the USPSA website. When you mail in your entry you will be e-mailed an entry confirmation along with the Self Squading information once your entry is received and processed. Mailed in entries without an e-mail will be manually squadded by match personnel. Lunch will be provided for the competitors on the day(s) they are competing and is included in the entry fee. Additional Lunches for non-competitors will be available for purchase at the range.

2013 Mile High Showdown Match Website

Entry Form, Stages, and all other Match Info can be found on the match website.

Match Fee = $100 Before May 31st

$125 After May 31st

No refunds after June 1st

Refunds prior to June 1st will be subject to a $25 handling fee

Awards will take place Sunday

Match Director: Charlie Perez

Range Master and Sponsor Coordinator: Jerry Westcott

RV pads with electrical hook-ups are available at the range

Range opens at 7am and match starts at 9am each day

Online Squading will be available at www.uspsa.org

2013 Mile High Showdown Entry Form.pdf

Edited by CHA-LEE

• 1 month later...

Charlie

How does the impending Mag Capacity law affect the match?

Mark

Since the mag capacity law is not yet passed, currently it does not impact the match. The way the proposed 15 round Mag Capacity Limit law is written Colorado residents that already have magazines with a capacity of more than 15 rounds will be grandfathered. It basically limits the ability to purchase new 15+ round high capacity magazines after the law is passed. I am not sure how the law will apply to out of state shooters who will temporarily bring high capacity magazines into the state for their use only. I would suspect it would be similar to how California does it where its alright to bring high capacity magazines into the state for your own personal use just as long as you are leaving with them when you depart the state.

Think of it this way, California currently has a 10 round mag capacity Limit, but they still continue to have in state and out of state shooters using high capacity magazines in USPSA matches.

Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion on the subject and things may change. Hopefully the currently proposed 15 round mag capacity limit law will NOT get passed so we won't even have to worry about it. Since this law got past its initial phase of release the hornets nest has been shaken up and there is a ton of opposition being presented at the local, and state level. The political game continues, how it will end up is really unknown at this point. We will have to wait and see how it goes.

The entries are rolling in at a steady pace for the 2013 Mile High Showdown. I want to thank all of the shooters who have signed up early as it makes planning for the match easier. If you have not signed up for the match but are planning on attending, please get your entry filled out and mailed in soon. All of the match details can be found at the match website www.milehiuspsa.com. The entry form can be downloaded from there and we also have the stages posted so you can check out the fun shooting challenges we have planned.

We have setup USPSA Self Service Squading for the match. Currently the Self Service Squading feature is disabled until April 30th as we want everyone who signs up before then a fair chance of squading on the day(s) they want to shoot on or with their friends on specific squads. To make it as fair as possible I will enable the USPSA Self Squading for the match at 7PM on April 30th. If you choose to sign up for the match after April 30th and miss out on being able to shoot the match on a specific day or squad because those squading options are full, I don’t want to hear any whining. It’s up to you to get your entry submitted in a timely manner and perform your squading selection as soon as it is opened up.

We still need 6 more dedicated shooters that would be willing to help with ROing the match. Major matches like these can’t happen without the dedicated volunteer help of the local shooters. If you can assist with ROing the match it would be much appreciated. If you want more details about the requirements, responsibilities, and benefits of ROing the match please e-mail Charlie Perez at rezman@hotmail.com.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to seeing everyone at the match!!!

Charlie Perez

2013 Mile High Showdown

Match Director

303-882-6728

• 2 weeks later...

The Ben Lomond Gun Club is near Ramah, Colorado. Ramah is way out in the middle of nowhere. The closest "Big" town that would have a selection of hotels would be Limon, Colorado. Limon is about 30 miles East of the range. If you are looking to get a hotel for the match I would suggest doing to hotel search in Limon.

I would suspect it would be similar to how California does it where its alright to bring high capacity magazines into the state for your own personal use just as long as you are leaving with them when you depart the state.

That is NOT the law in California. CA specifically forbids importing high cap mags.

I would suspect it would be similar to how California does it where its alright to bring high capacity magazines into the state for your own personal use just as long as you are leaving with them when you depart the state.

That is NOT the law in California. CA specifically forbids importing high cap mags.

So someone would be considered to be "Importing" magazines even though they are owned by the individual (Non-CA Resident) and kept in their possession the whole time they are in CA, then leaving with them when they exit the state?

It would be like saying that you can't drive a non-CA smog approved car into the state.

I wanted to post and update about the Colorado Magazine Ban law that recently got approved. The Colorado Magazine Ban for magazines that contain more than 15 rounds has been approved. That is crappy news for Colorado residents, but the good news is that this law does not go into into effect until July 1st 2013, which is AFTER the Mile High Showdown match. Hopefully this answers questions for any out of state shooters who are thinking about attending the match but are worried about the new magazine ban law.

How much this new magazine ban law will affect the local USPSA matches, local Gun Dealers, and the average gun owning citizen after July 1st is still unknown. All we can do is wait and see what happens.

Universal Ammo has agreed to be the official match ammo provider for the 2013 Mile High Showdown. With the current ammo and reloading component shortage I wanted to provide an alternative for competitors to get ammo if they need it for the match.The order form is listed on the Mile High Showdown match website (www.milehiuspsa.com). The Universal Ammo team advised to place your ammo order no later than one month before the start of the match to ensure that it will be shipped and received in time for the match. Since the match has a minimum round count of 290 rounds if you are going to order ammo it would probably be wise to get 400 – 500 rounds just in case you have a couple of reshoots on long field courses. One advantage in using this official match ammo is that it automatically gets approved for making the declared power factor (Minor/Major). So that is one less thing to worry about. Hopefully everyone has stocked up on ammo for the match, but if you haven’t this is a good alternative. I also want to mention that you can order ammo from Universal Ammo at any time and not just for the Mile High Showdown. If you have any questions please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to give everyone a quick update on the 2013 Mile High Showdown registration progress. Currently we only have 30 open slots left for the match. I am getting entries daily so it’s looking like this match will fill up to capacity well before the start of the match. For all of you procrastinators out there, it’s time to stop procrastinating and get your entry mailed in ASAP. Once the match reaches capacity I will start a wait list, but as with all wait lists there is no guarantee that you will get into the match. If you want to attend this match but still have not mailed in your entry I would suggest that you get it sent in soon.

As you may already know, the match entry includes lunch on the day/days you are shooting. My wife Dawn will be doing the food service for this match and she has planned for some yummy lunches. She asked me if the shooters would be interested in buying breakfast burritos on Fri – Sun for $5 each and I was not sure. So I am asking you guys/gals what you think about it. Let me know if you would be interested in buying breakfast burritos in the morning or not. I don’t want to “pressure” anyone into buying stuff they don’t really want. I just wanted to let everyone know that she is able to provide a breakfast burrito service if there is interest in it.

We are quickly approaching the deadline of turning on the USPSA Self Squading. At 7PM on April 30th I will be turning on the USPSA Self Squading and it will be up to you to get squaded on the day/squad you want. If you have special circumstances which will not allow you to perform the USPSA Self Squading on April 30th the match staff can perform your squading for you. But this will only be done after we have opened up the self squading on April 30th. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this.

• 2 weeks later...

This evening we will be opening up the USPSA self squading at 7PM sharp (Mountain Time for the out of state shooters). If you have to shoot the match on a specific Day or Squad it’s up to you to get yourself assigned to the correct squad using the USPSA online self squading system. Squad numbers 1 – 6 are for the Friday Only shooting schedule. Squad numbers 7 – 12 are for the Saturday/Sunday shooting schedule.

The USPSA Online Self Squading system should have e-mailed you a self squading confirmation along with a unique PIN number when we uploaded your registration into the system. You will need to use this PIN number to complete your squading selection. Please reference your USPSA Online Self Squading confirmation e-mail for your PIN number. If you have lost your PIN number feel free to contact me and I can look it up for you.

If you have any questions please let me know. My contact info is listed on the match website www.milehiuspsa.com

The 2013 Mile High Showdown is almost full. Currently there are only 14 open slots left in the match. The match entry fee of $100 expires on May 31st, after that the entry fee bumps up to $125 so take advantage of the lower entry fee by getting signed up before May 31st.

The USPSA Online Self Squading was successfully enabled on April 30th. Most of the competitors took advantage of it being enabled and got squaded that day. There are still some shooters who have not performed their self squading selection and with only a few slots left on both Friday and Sat/Sun it would be wise to get squaded so you can shoot the match on the day you prefer to shoot.

The match trophies have been ordered and received and they look really nice. Since the vast majority of the competitors got signed up early we were able to place a very accurate trophy order. This should greatly minimize the need to order extra trophies after the match. I wanted to thank all of the competitor who signed up early as it has made ordering an accurate count of trophies a lot easier!!! There are a lot of trophies up for grabs so bring your “A Game” if you want to bring home some hardware.

Several competitors have leveraged the Official Match Ammo Service by ordering their ammo from Universal Ammo. The Universal Ammo people wanted me to remind the competitors that they need at least 4 weeks prior to the start of the match to process and deliver orders before the match starts. If you need to order official match ammo, please get this done this week or next to ensure you will get it in time for the match. As always the Universal Ammo order form is located on the Mile High Showdown website.

Lastly the Match Book is almost complete. I am only waiting on a few more details before I can wrap it up and post it on the Mile High Showdown website. I will send out an update once it is completed and posted on the website.

I look forward to seeing everyone in June at the 2013 Mile High Showdown. If you have any questions please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

There are still a few slots left in the match both on Friday or Saturday/Sunday shooting schedules. If you want to participate in the match please get your entry mailed in this week. I wanted to also remind everyone who has not sent in their entry yet that the Match fee bumps up to $125 after May 31st. If your entry is post marked before June 1st the entry fee will still be $100. Any entries post marked after May 31st must contain a check with the higher entry fee. For all of the last minute procrastinators, this is your final notice to get your entry form mailed in before the match fee bumps up to $125.

We have completed the Match Book for the 2013 Mile High Showdown. The match book is located on the match website www.milehiuspsa.com. This match book contains many key points of information that will help make your match experience the best it can be. Many of the common match questions can be answered with the content listed in the match book so please take the time to read it. There is also a listing of range, facility, and match process requirements that must be adhered to while on the range property. Please review these requirements and become familiar with them.

We will NOT be printing this match book out for the match. If you want a hard copy of the match book to use while at the match I would suggest that you print it out and bring it to the range. We will be printing the Match and Squad schedules and these will be made available at the range.

We have also updated the match book and website to list all of the sponsors who have pitched in to support the 2013 Mile High Showdown. Rick Hebert Firearms (RHF) and Double Zero LLC have stepped up to the challenge of being the Primary Match Sponsors with very generous donations to the Prize Table. In the current climate of gun, parts, and ammo shortages firearm companies are struggling to fill customer orders much less support matches with sponsorship donations. These firearm companies are showing their supreme dedication to the shooting sports by going above and beyond to help support matches like these. A full listing of match sponsors along with their contact information is listed in the Match Book. Please take the time to thank these sponsors for their support. Sending these sponsors an e-mail, or giving them a call to thank them for their support goes a long way in helping them justify their support of shooting events. As always, please keep these sponsors in mind the next time you need to make a purchase.

The 2013 Mile High Showdown is only a few weeks away. I look forward to seeing all of you at the match!!! If you have any questions please let me know.

Today is the final day to get into the match at the normal match fee of $100. If your letter is postmarked on June 1st or beyond the entry fee will be $125. We still have room in the match to shoot the whole thing on Friday or on the Sat/Sun schedule. Get those entries sent in TODAY to save yourself $25.

The 2013 Mile High Showdown is only 9 days away. If you want to attend this match please get your entry forms mailed in ASAP. Please keep in mind that the entry fee is now $125. There is still room for competitors to participate in the Friday only or Sat/Sun shooting schedule. We have disabled the USPSA Online Self Squading feature so we can finalize the squading by manually placing competitors on squads to keep the squad sizes balanced. Make sure that you define which shooting schedule you prefer to participate in on your entry form so we can get you manually squaded properly.

There will probably be a few slots left for “Walk In” shooters the morning of the match. If you are planning on attending the match please get your entry mailed in before the start of the match. If circumstances keep you from preregistering and you have to register the morning of the match please keep in mind that the only form of payment that will be accepted is CASH ONLY. No other form of payment will be accepted. We have been burned in the past with “Bad Checks” from last minute registrations so we are eliminating that possibility by mandating that only payment method be cash only. We don’t like to assess this Cash Only requirement but it’s unfortunately the only way to weed out the bad apples.

As always all of the match info can be found on the match website www.milehiuspsa.com

• 2 weeks later...