Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal 40 SW Brass

Windlogik

In the rifle match community, FC brass has the reputation of developing loose primer pockets after one or two reloadings. I have seen primers fall out of FC reloads, and it is a valid concern. How is federal pistol brass (40SW). I have a bunch of it, and am considering getting it ready for reloading. I am wondering if Federal pistol brass has the same problem as the rifle brass.

There were problems with Federal .40 brass with the headstamp of: FC

Many case head separations with FC

If it's marked: Federal it's okay

This topic comes up from time to time. Several years ago I received an order of once fired brass that primarily had brass with a head stamp of "FC" along with "08" on the brass. I was concerned after reading the posts on this forum concerning case separations. Rather than read more on the forum I contacted Federal to see what they had to say. I got an email from Product Development saying the following, "The information you’re getting on the internet is incorrect. .40 brass head stamped FC08 is perfectly safe to shoot and reload."

Rather than trust out dated hearsay information I suggest you contact Federal and see what they say about your brass.

For major, I agree with HI5-O. Had it happen to me twice when I was too lazy to case gauge finished rounds.

For minor, I agree with WatchmanUSA. Shot tons of it production/esp loads and had zero issues.

There were problems with Federal .40 brass with the headstamp of: FC

Many case head separations with FC

If it's marked: Federal it's okay

This topic comes up from time to time. Several years ago I received an order of once fired brass that primarily had brass with a head stamp of "FC" along with "08" on the brass. I was concerned after reading the posts on this forum concerning case separations. Rather than read more on the forum I contacted Federal to see what they had to say. I got an email from Product Development saying the following, "The information you’re getting on the internet is incorrect. .40 brass head stamped FC08 is perfectly safe to shoot and reload."

Rather than trust out dated hearsay information I suggest you contact Federal and see what they say about your brass.

I have to confirm what HI50 posted, seen many case head separations with 40 brass with the FC head stamp

The head stamp your referring to of FC 08 sounds like military surplus brass with is marked by manufacturer and year of production