Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safariland ELS

Well, I just converted all my 3 gun gear over to safariland ELS system. I haven't had the opportunity to give it a match try yet but will in just a few weeks. Anything with a TekLok was really easy, most stuff that wasn't TekLok had screws that were usable, only the california comp works shell holders were a little problem & I just drilled the hangars for them, put nuts on the screws instead of threaded into the hangar, & works like a charm.

Sure seems like a great way to have your gear setup. The ability to change position & add & remove pouches between stages seems like a big advantage. Guess we'll see soon enough!

Anyone else have opinions or words of advice? I do have a couple of extra of the part that fits on the pouches in case any of them fail or break somehow. Thought that might be a good idea, just in case.

MLM

Edited by mlmiller1

I bought the same setup, however the mag pouches were not usable because they were made incorrectly. I am not too impressed with the quality of manuf. All made in Mexico with what seems like zero QC. Don't like waiting 4-6 weeks for replacements either.

Please follow up here once you put the gear in action.

• 2 weeks later...

I need help in this thread. I am wantign to get into 3gun, I have all the gear you could want for CAS but I only have a rifle for 3gun, I know what pistol I will be getting soon, an STI Edge in 9mm. I've done IPSC with a SAA and don't care too much for single gun disciplines, not my cup of Monster™.

Your experience with the sizing of the ELS belts, I wear a 38 waist, which is not a snug fit, but not loose, for the underbelt if I were to get the 40in would it overlap too much and create a need to order a larger ELS belt?

The 6004 UFA drop adapter I want to put on the ELS34 backing I guess I will need the drop attachment so I can ditch the belt loop attachment, is this correct?

Also on the Safariland website they show a shotshell caddy attached to the hoslter, is that with a ELS34/35 or just screwed right to it, I have long arms so the reach to a thigh holster or even shotshells on the holster won't be an issue. Which holster is the correct one for an STI Edge with Tritium Sights? does the Edge and Tactical share the same outside dimensions, only advertised STI I could find for a holster.

How many ELS35's will I need, I'm kinda guessing 10: 1) holster 2) shotshell holder on holster? 3-8) for shell caddies along front of belt 9) dual mag holder 10) ar mag holder in back.

Just a few questions about the ELS system. I got to see it for the first time up close yesterday, but why is it you can never think of the right questions when you have the chance?

James,

I certainly don't have answers to all your questions but I'll go for a couple, anyway. I would buy the same size belt as I normally wear. Not pant size but belt size. I put ELS forks on everything I intend to use for 3 gun. For me the beauty of this system is being able to change it up between stages. If you are gonna go prone & don't want to be laying on your shotshell caddies, move them around to the back. Same with the holster, mag pouches or any other part. If you don't need it this stage, take it off & leave it behind.

Although my components are not all safariland, everything I had except my california comp works shotshell caddies had places I could attach the forks without drilling or otherwise modifying. Anything with a TekLok on it will work just right. My CCW caddies had to be drilled & a bolt & nut used in place of the threaded insert. My AP caddies, sidearmour holster, both my AR mag holders(different brands, can't remember what) & my safariland pistol mag holders are all good to go with no drilling.

I put 10 attachments on my belt. 7 from the front center counterclockwise, 3 over on the pistol side. I like to put slugs on my strong side & birdshot on weakside. The ones from center counterclockwise, I left one hole between the attachments. That allowed me to put anything I have next to anything else. I was even able to tilt the pistol mag pouches for a little better wrist action & still fit from one attachment to the next. The 3 on my strong side have 2 holes between attachments. The holster takes up a bunch of space & I don't want anything I carry on that side potentially hanging up on my pistol & tossing it out of the holster.

Only problem I've seen so far is trying to get the little pins pushed into the holes in the belt when you are first trying to put it on. It is way around back, kind of, & I can't see what I'm doing. hahaha. Clumsy oaf!

So the TekLok fits directly in the ELS35? I agree with not putting much near the holster, safety is the name and not only anything there to pull your pistol out of the holster but something the pistol can hang on when drawing.

Ok again about the size question, order both belts in the same size as a belt I would wear? Or outer belt larger, I might of missed that answer for both or just the inner. I should of asked when I was looking at the belt, DOH!!

I like the idea behind the ELS, i noticed the gentlemen I was taking with about he changed setups for each stage, and it was so fast, I mean I was just in awe of how simple and easy it was, I watch alot of people taking the out belt off to switch gear in and out for stages, just makes more sense to make things interchangeable.

Sorry, wasn't clear about tekloks. You unscrew the teklok & install the ELS forks right in it's place. It is a very simple process if your gear already has tekloks. Don't order tekloks special, though. If the gear is setup to have tekloks installed, the els forks will fit in the exact same place.

Both belts are the same size.

I shoot a glock so I can't help you with your holster selection for STI.

Taking off your belt to change things around is a lot of trouble. The ELS should solve a lot of the problems.

Appreciate the help with the TekLok thing, Seeing as I have no gear and am just trying to figure out what brands I can use, I like safariland and all, but I'm sure there are better prices out there.

Now I know TekLok and ELS share the same hole pattern, that's sweet, should make getting the right rig config pretty simple. Appreciate the belt answer also, I am really bad at over analyzing the little things, not always bad, I clean my gun more than anyone has to, but mechanical malfunctions scare me.

Oh yeah, the only safariland thing besides the els system I have are mag pouches. All my other carriers, caddies, holster are other manufacturers. For my regular pistol comp rig, I have CR speed mag pouches. Nothing wrong with safariland, just not always my favorite.

MLM