Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide forward, hammer down

Petshopshooter

Once again a problem that simply requires common sense to deal with. A CRO is put in charge of a stage because they have the ability to safely run that stage and that includes implementing work arounds for problems such as this.

To borrow a phrase from a sports jock, just do it.

I would say loaded or unloaded makes no difference. Just watch the person a little more carefully no matter what. If he removes mag racks slide and the puts a mag in and dosent touch the slide and pulls the trigger and pops the mag out then guess what the gun is unloaded. We need to use some common sense

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, it is just simpler and safer to have the empty magazine used. Having an empty magazine used greatly reduces the possibility of anything silly happening.

I, nor any of the ROs I have worked with, mind taking the extra fifteen seconds to strip a mag empty for this process. And generally, it is the newer shooters who have the guns with mag safety (or whatever the technical term); having them be conscious of what is going on and taking the extra step with the unloaded mag reinforces the safety aspect of the sport.

If a loaded mag is used, you have just allowed the competitor to reload the firearm since the definition of a loaded firearm is:

A firearm having a live or dummy round in the chamber

or cylinder, or having a live or dummy round in a

magazine inserted in the firearm.

Now that you have reloaded the firearm, you would have to now show clear again which would put you in an endless loop until an empty mag is used.