Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who to do the work?

G34 CORDY

Hello guys, I will be getting my TS in soon. Iam going to send it to CZ Customs or Akai Custom Guns for grip reduction, slide lightening and refinish. Who should I send it to? I talked to both companys today and CZ Customs dont do hard chrome which Iam undecided if I want that or black. I see both companys have different slide lightening cuts so does it matter the cut style for balance or not? Does anyone have any of these mods from either of the companys and how to do you like them and the work they did?

Shoot the darn thing first. :roflol:

Of course I will but I know like everyone else on here it will get its share of upgrades. Everyone who shoots a custom gun almost always orders it that way before shooting it so at least I will mod as I go lol

Edited by G34 CORDY

You can do the grip reduction yourself with a die grinder, have alocal gunsmith do the cuts. Send it to accurate plating to get hard chrome, and youll have less than $$300 in your upgrades....or send it to one of the mentioned above and have about twice that.

You can do the grip reduction yourself with a die grinder, have alocal gunsmith do the cuts. Send it to accurate plating to get hard chrome, and youll have less than $$300 in your upgrades....or send it to one of the mentioned above and have about twice that.

Thanks for the plating service I will look into that.

The lightening cuts in the slide do little to impact the balance of the gun. They have a greater impact in the feel of the recoil. Personally I like a light slide/heavy frame combo but I also like pinapple on my pizza. You may not. Just don't go freaky low on the slide weight. There is such a thing as too much slide speed. Listen to your 'smith.

How about a thumb rest/*thumb rest [generic]*? I just got one on my Limited gun and I feel like it has been transformed...

I've never shot with a thumb rest so Iam not sure if I would like it or not? What do you like about it? I personally dont care for how it looks on a limited gun and would be worried if I shot a production match I would be searching for the TR. I would like to try one to see if I would like it or not.

Edited by G34 CORDY

Can you explain the different feeling from the lightened slide.

It's much snappier/faster; you know how a .40 feels compared to a .45, it's kind of like that.

I see almost everyone has it done so it must be worth doing to some extreme. The only problem is when or if I do it and dont like it I cant put the metal back on lol. My TS should be here Thursday so hopefully this weekend I will have some time to shoot it.

if I do it and dont like it I cant put the metal back on lol.

Sure you can, I added a slide racker and put about an ounce back on:

IMG_20130112_183602_525_zpse19926d3.jpg

I was perfectly happy using the rear sight to rack the slide, but I also want to try a thumbrest so I added the racker so the barrel wouldn't tip skyward on table starts (I know, I know, I'm like a teenager with a Honda Civic, but I just love to play with new stuff).

IMG_20130115_171657_782_zpse29720b6.jpg

Edited by kneelingatlas

Send it to Shay at Akai customs. He has already done mine that away and his work is second to none. I promise you want be disappointed. Another one you might want to look into is David Milam at Cajun Gun Works.