Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ejection problems in sti open gun

mioduz

Im having an issue that is happening more and more often. History: i got this pistol 2 years ago and for over a year it ran flawlessly with 38 super and super comp brass intermixed. The malfunctions started maybe once per match and increased in repetitiveness. I think im to the point that i can not make it through two big sticks without a failure.

Now as to the issue. Brass is not leaving the ejection port completely. When there isnt a failure brass ejects and travels what i would say is an acceptable distance (5-10 ft)

The second picture where the brass is vertical was the last shot in mag for what that is worth.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

post-30889-135881642157_thumb.jpg

post-30889-135881644368_thumb.jpg

Im having an issue that is happening more and more often. History: i got this pistol 2 years ago and for over a year it ran flawlessly with 38 super and super comp brass intermixed. The malfunctions started maybe once per match and increased in repetitiveness. I think im to the point that i can not make it through two big sticks without a failure.

Now as to the issue. Brass is not leaving the ejection port completely. When there isnt a failure brass ejects and travels what i would say is an acceptable distance (5-10 ft)

The second picture where the brass is vertical was the last shot in mag for what that is worth.

I think its time to change your extractor and ejector

I think its time to change your extractor and ejector

Figured as much. I was thinking about trying an aftec extractor but they are super/super comp specific. Anyone have luck running one with both types of brass

After changing to a C-more Serendipity I was getting occasional jams like the one in the first picture.

The cases were ejecting low, hitting the bottom of the port, then bouncing up and rebounding off the bottom of the C-more back into the port and jamming. My port wasn't especially large so a shooting buddy lowered the port a little more for me, and then little by little I changed the ejector so it would kick the cases out of the port higher. Ref: http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/ejection%20perfection.htm

This is bad ju-ju to say aloud, but after tinkering with this a little I haven't had a jam like this in a few thousand rounds now.

Check the extractor tension first. Do this by taking the slide off and slide a round under the extractor. The round should stay there. Install the barrel in the slide with the round in there. Push the barrell up into lock and then come down and pull the barrel out of the slide. The round should stay put. If it falls out, you need more tension. Also, be sure that the extractor tunnel is clean.

Check the extractor tension first. Do this by taking the slide off and slide a round under the extractor. The round should stay there. Install the barrel in the slide with the round in there. Push the barrell up into lock and then come down and pull the barrel out of the slide. The round should stay put. If it falls out, you need more tension. Also, be sure that the extractor tunnel is clean.

Thanks i did that and i will try to get to the range to test out before the next match

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem in a 9 major open gun I used to have. After checking the extractor and ejector, it ended up being a weak recoil spring. I'd recommend replacing the recoil spring if the extractor isn't the problem.