Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber trigger reset

tohm

Several weeks ago I purchased a 45 Kimber Raptor II and today I took it to the range to run a couple of boxes of ball ammunition to make sure everything functions correctly. I had 2 failure to feeds ( ~150 rounds) and several times I did not allow the trigger to reset (i don't seem to have much for over travel). I am used to shooting an STI Edge for competition. Did I have a bad ME day or is there something inherently different in the triggers? I have had 1911's for thirty years and never had this issue before. I just want to figure out did i have a bad day or is there something i need to investigate?

When you say the trigger didn't reset do you mean the hammer did not stay cocked? If a 1911 trigger is set up properly there's nothing you should be able to do to cause that. The exception being if you have an exceptionally light trigger. Say lighter than around 2 pounds. Even then, a quality trigger job will hold if done correctly. So, if this is a factory stock trigger pull you shouldn't be having trouble. More info please.

Cheers623

DVC

If by reset you mean the trigger won't go forward far enough to allow the disconnector to reset, is this when you are shooting the gun ??

If so, make sure you aren't holding the trigger too tightly, try moving your finger further forward and see if it will then reset.

What i am used to is after firing a round relaxing my trigger finger and that has always been enough to allow it to reset, this has always worked on my STI now i have to conscientiously let off to allow it to reset to fire the next round. The over travel screw is set about right just enough to make sure the hammer releases. I may have been having a bad day and gripping the gun too hard, I have shot a lot of different 1911 and 2011's and never had this issue so it was really odd to me. I will go out this weekend and put another couple of hundred rounds thru it. I hope it was just me!

Oh yes the other question it is a new gun never fired before. I took it out of the box oiled it up and put 150 rounds through it to see if there are any issues. It shot well other than this issue.

The spring makes sense in my mind. I am going to shoot another couple of boxes through next week and then that will be the direction I investigate. Thanks for the help!

Just to clarify the trigger adjustment is as the factory set it. My plan was to only oil the gun and shoot it for the first three hundred rounds and then if no big issues make a few changes.

If you're not getting hammer drop, then the over-travel screw is just fine. I wouldn't worry about that.

If you're trigger is not resetting correctly, then you have too much PRE-travel set in the trigger. There needs to be a slight, ever so slightly, slop in the trigger to get it to reset properly. You'll need to take out the trigger and bend the pre-travel tab back (toward the bow) and give it another try. If there is no pre-travel tab, then your trigger bow is out of spec and is too long. You can try to file a little off the back of the trigger bow to compensate and shorten up the bow. But I would suggest getting a new trigger.

Also, the trigger's bow might be bent, and is catching on the mag's body, thus causing added friction. Use a black sharpie and paint the mag, insert it into the gun, and move the trigger back and forth. If you see markings, in the same direction, then bend the bow outward.