Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cylinder retaining screw problem?

lora

Just had my 627 38 super cylinder slip out or rather forward during an icore stage. Tried to pop it back in to finish the stage but no luck. Afterward checked the the cylinder retaining screw and it was all in and tight, removed it slid yoke in fully and used a backup screw to finished the day. My concerns are:

1. Has this happened to anyone else.

2. If it has, did you find the cause.

3. Is it possible the screw tip is worn or defective, I don't know the length measurement std., comparison of the two showed the problem one was blunted more than the backup one.

4. The yoke still has small amount of forward/backward play

Ideas, suggestions, comments appreciated.

Edited by lora

You didn't give an age on the gun, but I'll make an *assume* it's pretty modern.

The tip of the yoke retaining screw should be spring loaded and move a bit. If it doesn't and it is stuck "in", this could cause more problems. The screw doesn't have to be very loose for the crane, cylinder, and the reload you were trying to do To hit the ground; and I've never seen one put back together with the timer still running. ;)

The tip could be worn but the spring loaded in and out motion is the most important.

The yoke will play back and forth if the gun is open, but once shut, the only movement of anything will be the very small amount of endshake, which is not controlled with this screw.

The older S&W Revolvers used the same screw for the forward 2 spots and a different one for the rear most.

The newer ones reversed that and used a plunger/spring screw to retain the cylinder crane, most forward screw.

Question without running downstairs and trying, can an older screw be used in place of the newer screw to retain the cylinder crane?

Newer model gun about 4 yoa, definitely correct screw in correct spot the cylinder screw is longer with a pointed tip. Didn't think it was spring loaded but any how all parts are in the correct place. The crane, yes has what I always thought was a normal small amount of play when open I thought I would include the info just in case it helped with diagnosis.

Actually, had end shake problem when new within first few hundred rounds, Jerry and Olhasso verified at national steel match, but fixed with bearings, no other problem until now.

Thanks for replies so far.

Edited by lora

Yeah, take out the yoke screw and use pliers to pull out the plunger. Take out the spring and replace it with a small piece of drill rod (or whatever) that is cut to the correct length to create a "solid" yoke screw system that allows the crane to pivot but not come out. It's a trial and error process, but not a difficult thing to do.