Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian v. STI slides

1911Prof

I have a lot of question regarding a new build. With the recent discussions of some STI slides cracking after lightening, I was wondering if Caspian slides are better for significantly lightened open guns than stock STI slides

Form vs function. I've seen some beautifully lightened slides this past year. Though I am partial to caspian, I really don't think it makes a difference who makes the slide. The bigger question and more important factor is physics. Find some who knows what the heck they are doing when it comes to lightening (ie. drilling and shaving material off a moving part that gets slammed back and forth). Shane at Akai custom guns has it down and some of my shooting friends have done incredible works of art on their personal guns. Good luck!

I've seen plenty of Caspian slides cracked from excess lightening cuts. Point being you can run into problems with any brand if you push it too far. Between Caspian and STI, I'd pick Caspian any day as being better quality and better to do business with.

I've had two smiths I trust tell me STI steel is much harder than Caspian steel, and more likely to crack during fitting. If I'm picking a slide, I'll pick a Caspian, but STIs obviously hold up to tens or hundreds of thousands of rounds of use, so I wouldn't be afraid of an STI if that was what was available.

• 2 weeks later...

According to my smith that built my newest open gun, and working on 3 of my other STI open guns, he prefers the Caspian, and he says the hardness and the demensions are more consistent. I have 4 guns with STI slides and 2 with Caspian none have given any trouble. So either one will work.