Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New AR owner with a dumb sling question

LoLeft

Ok, so I have decided to venture into 3 gun and just built my first AR. I am taking some Carbine classes first since I only shoot USPSA and IDPA now. The classes require a sling. Based on my research here, I have decided on the VTAC Upgraded sling. My question is, what type of connectors do I need to attach the sling?? I have a quad rail up front and a collapsable stock. On the VikingTactics website they are all out of connectors. I see something called "Q.D. quick detach push button sling swivel with base" on Amazon for under $8 and and Troy Industries Q.D. 360 push button rail mount with swivel" for $35? Then for the stock I am assuming I need some kind of push button something or other? Do I need something to accommodate 1" or 1.25"? OR do I just buy the "VTAC Larue sling" that apparently comes with the attachments needed? I know these are a lot of "Rookie" questions but I need to get everything here by 2/1/2013 so I need to get it right the first time in one order. Any hep would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Depending on the type of stock - you may be able to thread the sling through the butt stock without a "connector". Suggest you contact instructor and tell him you are a new shooter and ask if you can borrow some sling hardware for the class. You will see lots of slings etc at class and you will be better prepared next time.

Good luck!

I take 2 v-tac slings to every match that requires a sling and I like this sling a lot. As far as QD swivels, I can see no reason to pay more that about $15 for one.

Hooks work pretty good too. Used to use HK style hooks. They will attach to metal buttstock loop. You can go with hook on buttstock and QD on HG. Mix and match works fine.

In my line of work we carry our rifles for 12-13 hours per shift. The padded v-tac is our prefered sling for extended carry. We use HK type clips and they give great flexibility by allowing the user to transition from a single point to a two point very easily and quickly. The drawback to the HK clips is they are rough on the finish when used with the magpul sling mount loop mounted at the reciever buffertube junction. On my 3-gun rifle I use QR pushbutton sling swivels. Mostly because I only use a sling in competition when its required and prefer not to have it at all when I dont need it. plus they are more friendly to the finish on my prized game gun.