Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Death

MoNsTeR

Twenty years ago, when my wife was working for a vet, a woman wanted her Golden Retriever/Lab mix put down because the dog would occasionally vomit on the carpet. Carol asked to adopt Percy instead and took her home with her. Carol's ex-husband gave her an ultimatum to get rid of the dog. Percy moved out that day --- with Carol. Turned out that Percy had cancer and displasia. For about eight weeks that dog dragged herself out of the bedroom whenever Carol came home, planted her hips on the carpet, and wagged her entire front half. When she got too weak to walk up the stairs after going for a walk, Carol carried her upstairs. When Percy wouldn't walk downstairs anymore, we took her on a ride to the vet's and held her as she went to sleep. We've had cats since, have lost a couple over the years, and currently have four over the age of 12. We enjoy them every day, and remember their departed siblings. Hang in there, we're thinking of you....

Noah..sorry to hear of the loss...

family pets are very dear...

We have a couple..had them since they were four weeks old..we adopted them after they were found in a bag abandoned on a road..

They both have been through surgeries for health problems..but so far they are fighters..

My wife's family lost their Rhodesian ridgeback a couple of years ago too..great animal..

thoughts are with you...

Losing a pet is definitely the equivalent of losing some form of family member... especially if the pet's been with you a while... and some cats can live to be ancient. We had a Siamese many moons ago (and they're notoriously long-lived) that lived to be 22 or something. We lost count.

Gosh, Pebble was/is an attractive cat.

Some families intentionally overlap the purchase or acquisition of their domestic pets precisely to ease the grief when one of them naturally and inevitably passes. In this way they don't all mature at the same time and run all the same risks at the same time. It's no sin to 'plan ahead' with the lives of your pets. People do it all the time. It makes for smoother transitions and reduced grief. I know people who do this.

Yeh, many of us have the soft spot for cats...... :wub:B)

I just said to my wife last night, that it is one of God's cruelest jokes that pets don't live longer.

All of our pets are either rescued or strays that we have taken in. When their time comes I will at least be able to say that I know I helped make their lives better and longer as a small payment for how much they have given to me.

I am sorry for you loss.

The good news is.... in the interview with Roy Horn (of Sigfried and Roy) he said that while he was clinically dead, he went toward the bright light.. but instead of seeing people he was greeted by all the cats he had worked with through the years. So, gives you one more thing to look forward to when you die. The great thing is in Heaven, you never have to clean a cat box and you can feed them all you want and they won't get fat.

I know what you're going through Monster. Our pets are family.

Our current brood includes a Mother / Son pair of Maine Coon cats. A medium hair totally tubby tabby. And an ancient short hair tabby. My wife and I volunteer with a cat rescue organization so we have a juvenile tabby foster. And the one I drug home from the heliport just this week (escaping hurricane Ivan) that will be put up for adoption as soon as she recovers from her spaying. Oh yeah, and the Chiwhatzu. Half Shih Tzu, half Chihuahua dog.

However, I still think of Fubar, an orange tabby that was my buddy during good times and bad. Lost him nearly three years ago and still miss him.

Thanks everyone.

Pebble really was beautiful. Tabby-point Siamese are some of the most gorgeous cats around. Can you believe she was a shelter cat, and we only paid a $6 adoption fee for her?

Sadly, a picture can't capture the sound of her purr...

Thanks everyone.

Pebble really was beautiful.  Tabby-point Siamese are some of the most gorgeous cats around.  Can you believe she was a shelter cat, and we only paid a $6 adoption fee for her?

Sadly, a picture can't capture the sound of her purr...

But she's in our minds, so she lives! She didn't disappear without a trace...