Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tula and Wolf Primers

Jaxshooter

Have always used wolf small pistols in my open 9mm major and xdm 9 with no problems. Their a little harder than say federal sp's, but I have yet to have one fail.

Couldn't find any wolfs for my last order so ended up ordering 15,000 Tula spp. From what I hear, they're the same quality as Wolfs.

Ive heard people say that they have had bad experiences with these, and they certainly may have. Ive been through about 10K large pistol and large rifle and 5K small pistol without any issues. And, the price I paid was much better than I could find on anything else. My experience was with Tula. I say go with it.

Edited by wgj3

Working through a sleeve of Tula SPP now. When finished I will not go back to them. However, I went thru 5000 Wolf LPP without any issue.

The Tula SPP would not light off in stock Gen 4 17 after multiple strikes. Sometimes had as many as 6 failures per 100.

But as they say YMMV

The only problems folks have had with Wolf/Tula were in striker fired guns.

Another GM made a comment that Wolf primers gave him more consistent readings over the chrono. Initially I thought that may have been a bit of a stretch, especially against Winchester. However, in a very quick test - I found the same thing. Now I definitely would want to do more testing before I could say Wolf definitely chrono's better - but I think there is enough to say it is very possible.

Bottom line - If you shoot a 1911-based gun, you won't have any issues with Wolf.

Small rifle in an AR no problem at all

Small pistol with my STI Eagle not a problem either, that is with a stock mainspring though

Small pistol in a Glock 34, 17 & 19 no problems with a striker spring down to 4.5#. 4# striker in my 34 gave me issues with 1 or 2 in every couple hundred. I've used them exclusively for the last few months and will continue to use them.

I got 20K Tula a month ago from Powder Valley, and have had problems with the small pistol primers. 25-30% of the primers were misfiring in all my 9mm and .40 cal pistols, both striker fired and hammer fired. My HK's, 1911's, EAA witness, CZ Shadow, PPQ, XDM. I didn't have a Glock to try. I called Tula and they sent me a check for the 10K SPP's. Did not have any issues the the LPP's. I decided to try the SPP's in my AR so I loaded up some .223, and they worked 100%. They also worked 100% in my S&W bodyguard .380. I loaded up some .38's to try in my revolvers tomorrow.

They are a harder than others i.e. federal, winchester, cci. They will function fine in most guns providing that it has stock fire controls. For example when I changed out some of the trigger parts on my g34 to lighten the trigger I had to go with the softer skin primers. Since then never an issue. If using stock parts you should have no problems. Good luck!

5 years ago I bought some Wolf small pistol primers. I found them hard and requiring a full strength MS in my CZ. Recently got some Tula and have used those with zero issues. However, I should note all my pistols use factory main springs.

Have gone through about 25,000 Tula small pistol primers. In my experience they:

- are harder to seat than softer brands

- cannot be trusted 100% in striker fired pistols (even with a plus power striker spring)

- require at least a 15lb mainspring and an extended firing pin to set off reliably

But if you get them seated and hit them hard enough, they go bang every time.

Edited by LexTalionis

Right now if I could find some at a resonable price I would buy them, in spite of their bad reputation. The hardest primer I have found is the MagTech Small rifle with a D on it, my open gun sets them off barley, can't hardly see the mark on them.