Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Bullets Suggestions

deerassassin22

when looking for the perfect hoser bullet, watch out for steel jacketed stuff. the cheaper stuff probably is...

in the present climate, get whatever you can for close up targets that isn't steel jacketed...keep loading the 168s if they work for you for the long range shots.

jj

In my M1A I use 168's, in my AR10 I'm going to try Sierra's 135 & 155 SMK's, I just have to do load development to see if they make velocity to hit the drops on my reticle. I tried to use cheap 150 gr. blaster ammo up close last year but I found that at matches like RiggerJJ's you're better off using match ammo for everything, lots of long range shots & small targets.

The sierra 135's were already mentioned, and the speer 125's are also handy for shorter range "hoser" stuff. Ive shot both out to 250 with success. Ive also seen guys load 110 gr .30 carbine projectiles and use them successfully for short stuff. For the short range stuff you just need it to function and be as cheap as possible. Then use whatever your rifle likes for the "precision"/longer-range portions of the match.

I was shooting the Steel Match Ammo, but my local sources have dried up and I cant find any on line.

Back to shooting Sierra 168's for the long stuff and FMJ's for everything else.

Hornady's FMJ's shoot well out of my rifle and are reasonably inexpensive. Natchez usually has good prices on them.

I tried the Speer TNT's. One box would shoot really well and the next shot like crap. Lots of variation in their bullets.

Edited by LSnSC

In my AR10, I use surplus ball for the close (<100) shots, just be sure that it passes the magnet test. I have found that Privi Partizan, British Radway Green, Austrailian, and South African have been non magnetic. For longer shots, I use 168 Amax or 155 Amax, my rifle likes both of them.

Hurley

168gr bullets are overkill for our sport. Even for the long range stuff. Sierra, Nosler and Hornady 155s for your long range loads and either Hornay 110 and 150s or Speer 125s for the close stuff. The wild card is Sierra 135s. If your rifle likes them and you can find some for a decent price, the 135 can serve double duty. Right now I'm buying whatever I can find.

Edited by co-exprs

168gr bullets are overkill for our sport. Even for the long range stuff. Sierra, Nosler and Hornady 155s for your long range loads and either Hornay 110 and 150s or Speer 125s for the close stuff. The wild card is Sierra 135s. If your rifle likes them and you can find some for a decent price, the 135 can serve double duty. Right now I'm buying whatever I can find.

Mike, I just built an AR10 for Heavy Optics, I went with a 16" tube and a Vortex 1-6x for the scope. What velocities are you getting out of the 135's? I know you run an 18" tube so we should be fairly close. From everything I've looked at I'm going to have to run the 155's to hit the sweet spot where the rounds will cross my drops on my reticle. The 135's would have to go about 3000 fps & I don't think that'll happen out of a 16" barrel. Thanks.

3k seemed awfully high to me. I mean none of the 308 loads are that different inside of 600. I ran the numbers in the Handloads.com calculator and strelok and came up with 2800 being nearly perfect. If you zero at 200yds as suggested, you would be within .5" at 300, 400 and 500. At 600 you would hit about 5" high using subtension values on the Vortex website. If you have access to a 300yd range, I would zero at 300yds with my 300yd mark. That would put you dead on at 300, 400 and 500 and about 4" high at 600. Your 200yd zero would only be .3" off. That's about as perfect as you can get trying to match up a load to a BDC.

2800fps from 135gr and 16" barrel is totally doeable with H4895 and 8208 powder.

2800fps from 135gr and 16" barrel is totally doeable with H4895 and 8208 powder.

Think I can make that number with Varget? Hodgdon lists 3100 fps with 50.0 gr. of Varget, out of a 22" barrel I'd bet. It's listing 50,000 cup for pressure, figuring 50 fps per inch velocity drop that puts me in the neighborhood...

Think I can make that number with Varget? Hodgdon lists 3100 fps with 50.0 gr. of Varget, out of a 22" barrel I'd bet. It's listing 50,000 cup for pressure, figuring 50 fps per inch velocity drop that puts me in the neighborhood...

out of my 16" JP 44.5 grs. of IMR 4895 made 2650 fps. 45.3 grs. of Varget did the same. With my 22" JP those same loads give me 2800 fps.

Rob,

Hodgdon's numbers are likely with a 24" bolt gun. They'll be a lot different out of a shorter gas gun. The B.C. of the 135's are about the same as the heavy bullets for .223.