Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do with long loaded .40 for STI now that I sold the gun

diversmith

To make a long story short, I have about 1500 rounds of 1.180-1.190 loaded .40 that I put together on my 650 when I had my Brazos SC. I just sold it and now have this ammo sitting there. I was using PD and IMI 180 grain pills and Titegroup with drops ranging from 4.8-4.9 during random checks.

What are my options now....I have a 35 and a 24 and am wanting to get feedback on what to do with this stuff. It is obviously too long to use in a Glock mag. I loaded them with a light crimp from the Dillon crimp die, so could I change my dies to seat them a little deeper and just touch it again with a light crimp? Is 4.8-4.9 getting a little hot when a 180 grain is seated deeper? These were chronoed out of the 5" barrel just making major at around 950-970FPS-ish

Any advice is appreciated and I obviously would rather not have to pull them all down

What loads are you Glock guys running with TG and 180gr bullets?

What can I do with these?

ETA...what's the absolute longest I can run in Glocks?

Thanks!

Edited by diversmith

I don't use Titegroup nor shoot a 35 but if it were me I'd shorten up a few of your loads to the longest length that will still feed out of your Glock mags and go test fire 'em. Velocity & pressure will be higher but I can't imagine that they be unsafe to shoot. Also, check out a reloading source to see what the max load is for a 180 seated at standard 40 length - usually 1.135 - over your load of Titegroup. That outta give ya someplace to start.

Edited by titandriver

I don't use Titegroup nor shoot a 35 but if it were me I'd shorten up a few of your loads to the longest length that will still feed out of your Glock mags and go test fire 'em. Velocity & pressure will be higher but I can't imagine that they be unsafe to shoot. Also, check out a reloading source to see what the max load is for a 180 seated at standard 40 length - usually 1.135 - over your load of Titegroup. That outta give ya someplace to start.

Thanks for the input....

I also have a KKM for both the 35 and the 24. Would these also give a slightly slower velocity and slightly lower pressure than the stock barrels? I know I WON'T be shooting these on a hot day here in Vegas!!!

And I see that 1.135 seems to be "THE" length for the stock Glocks

You probably could have offered it to the guy who bought the gun at a decent price and see whether he wants them or not ? :). Although shipping ammo these days isn't very cost effective unless you have a large shipping discount. . I tried pricing a case of ammo and it wasn't pretty.

Max load for tight group is 4.7gr @ 1.125" on hogdens web site. I run the girlfriends g34 loads out to 1.15" (9mm mg 124 jhp, stock barrel) and have read that you can run as long as 1.16-1.17" throught glock mags. Pull a couple of bullets down and test fit in your barrel. Once you know how long this combo will fit in youre barrel work a load up and see if you can run them up to 4.8-4.9gr safely. If you can get there then shorten the rest of youre bullets and youre good to go. If not get out a bullet puller and start breaking them down. Thats what I would try, but proceed at youre own risk.

Ummmmmmm...isn't it illegal to sell your hand loads without an ammo FFL? Even at cost of components??

No, its illegal to run an ammunition business without the proper licensing.

1.155 will fit nicely in a Glock mag. I do not use TG so I do not know about your charge. PF will be higher but I do not think it will be excessive.

So 1.150 should feed thru the mag fine and should chamber nicely?

Should I try using the KKM barrel instead of the stock Glock?

Thanks for all of the ideas so far

I used loads of that length out of both my stock barrel and my KKM.

You are likely near max pressure with these loads but I would not have a problem with testing a couple. I would not take them down to 1.125 because that would be a little to far I think.

When I still had my STI edge, I had loaded a couple hundred rounds with 4.8 gr of N320 at 1.200. I shortened them to 1.135 and shot them thru a XDM with no problem or pressure signs at all. You should be still below major PF as I was.

You are likely near max pressure with these loads but I would not have a problem with testing a couple. I would not take them down to 1.125 because that would be a little to far I think.

Loads of what length out of your stock and KKM barrels???

Loads of what length out of your stock and KKM barrels???

No way I would pull them. Try setting a few of them back to the max length that will fit in your mag. If you don't feel comfortable doing this after testing, sell them to a buddy with an STI for a discount. The feds are not going to bother you on something like this!

Mike

Every federal law enforcement officer and Assistant United States Attorney (Special Agents don't prosecute cases, remember, they just find the evidence) that I've ever known has too much work stacked up to worry about some otherwise law abiding guy selling some reloaded ammunition like this (a one time thing), even if it is against the law (I don't know). Now, if the person in question is a lowlife that they've been watching anyway because he has been doing a lot of crime, then its a different story. As an example, Al Capone went to prison for tax evasion, not murder or any of the other serious things he did. Of course, I'm not saying tax evasion isn't serious.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

you are in a quandry when it comes to reloaded ammo. if you sell it, and it damages someones gun, you could be liable for it.

what i would do it take a few round and shorten them to the shortest that will work in your Glocks and retest them for velocity and pressure signs. if everything looks good after the test, I would just shorten them and life goes on.

Snag a collet bullet puller and stick it in either the first stage of your progressive or a single stage.

You'll end up with a bit more Titegroup you can use elsewhere, and the projectiles will be just fine.

If you've developed and worked up a load for a particular gun, you REALLY want to start fresh with a different gun.

Also, don't sell it. I may be a Negative Nancy, but I have a policy of "I shoot only my handloads, and only I shoot my handloads." If you had just a bit too much static around your workbench, or your measure caught on who knows what, or the phase of the moon is off, YOU will be liable for whatever happens, uprange or downrange.

Edited by thermobollocks