Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

remanufactured ammo- why is it shaped like that?

robmont

Just received some remanufactured 9mm ammo from Precision Delta. The top half of the cases are smaller in diameter than the bottom half, significantly. Is that normal? Is that what my reloads will look like when I start handloading?

Just received some remanufactured 9mm ammo from Precision Delta. The top half of the cases are smaller in diameter than the bottom half, significantly. Is that normal? Is that what my reloads will look like when I start handloading?

Check the reloading forum for a more detailed answer, but yes it's normal, and yes, your's will look the same.

The sizing die squeezes the case slightly below the regular chamber dimentions, so the reloaded ammo look a bit like the old Coke bottles.

The 9mm Luger is a tapered cartridge. Yes, your reloads will look like that. It is more obvious with reloaded cases than factory cases because during reloading the brass is sized down significantly and when the bullet is seated it will sometimes have a coke-bottle look. Factory fresh brass is also tapered but the cases tend to have a straight, non-parallel sides, so the taper is not as obvious, but if you measure them with calipers the taper is obvious.