Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

distance shooting with pistol

Shadow1

I have to qualify at an outdoor range and to do so, I need to make 50 meter, 100 meter, and 200 meter shots putting lead on paper 18x24. I'm shooting my an AR with .223 and my 9mm Springfield XDm. I've done most of my shooting at indoor ranges (about 50 ft) and some USPSA shooting but rarely at this distance. I'm,not overly concerned witht the 50 meter range but what kind of (if any) sighting changes should I make at the other ranges shooting a 9mm handgun? Sounds stupid but I only get ten shots with each gun and need to hit 5 out of ten. Really don't feel like having to make the trip again to get qualified.

200 meters with a pistol? It's doable, but I have never shot that far with a pistol.

At 50m, my XDm is about 1.5-2" high. Haven't gone out further than that to see where the zero is reestablished. My best guress is 70-80 meters the gun is zeroed again.

Here is what I would do:

+ 50 m - hold on center of target

+ 100 m - hold on top 2/3 of target

+ 200 m - hold just below top of target

Could use a ballistics calculator, but I haven't had much luck with them for handguns.

Do you think its possible that you read the requirements wrong with the pistole ?

I can not think of any one that can hit 50% at 200 yards with a 9 mm iron sights handgun. my Ballistic program says you need 47" of hold over for a 9mm at 200 yards

If you had a Custom handgun and you could shoot prone = thin thats doable

I try-ed it at 160 yards on a 18X24 steel I did not hit but Carina hit it more than once, after she found her hold over.

Do you think its possible that you read the requirements wrong with the pistole ?

I can not think of any one that can hit 50% at 200 yards with a 9 mm iron sights handgun. my Ballistic program says you need 47" of hold over for a 9mm at 200 yards

I try-ed it at 160 yards on a 18X24 steel I did not hit but Carina hit it more than once, after she found her hold over.

I would only be required to shoot the first 2 ranges to qualify and they said the long range is rarely qualified with pistol. I think I'm heading out on Tuesday to shoot the 50 and Wednesday on the 100. Hopefully those will go smooth.

Maybe see if there is a Metallic Handgun Silhouette club and shoot one or two or two their matches, that will toughen you up! The targets are at 50/100/150/200 yards or meters. I've shot it with a .357mag TC contender and did OK, but the holds were tough (normally shot it with a 7mmTCU). My shooting buddy (who was very good IHMSA shooter) has shoot it with a .45 1911 but got ram bit (target hit but didn't fall) on the 200 yard targets. He did pretty well all things considered and got most of the targets.

Scot, I presume you're qualifying at the CFR&PClub in Orlando?

Don't believe you're allowed to shoot handguns on the 100 or

the 300 meter range.

You will, I believe, be qualifying only with the AR .223 at 200

meters, not with the handgun.

You have to qualify with the handgun on the 50 meter range, and

possibly the Action range, if you have enough matches under

your belt on that range. And they don't set the pistol target that

far, either - usually about 20 yards or so, I seem to recall (it's

been a while since I qualified on the LAR).

Good luck with it, and welcome to CFR&PC.

:cheers:

I would only be required to shoot the first 2 ranges to qualify and they said the long range is rarely qualified with pistol. I think I'm heading out on Tuesday to shoot the 50 and Wednesday on the 100. Hopefully those will go smooth.

Sounds like your good with the other post , but even if you do shoot aout to 100yards on a 18x24 that not a big deal at all to get 50%. Its five times at hard when you move it past 125yards though. Or it seams that way

I have a 10" MGM set up at 70 yards its easy to get 50% on it