Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack in .40

ricardo28

Im looking at getting a back up or new primary gun and currently use a LB Custom Carry. In 45 with hand loads it shoots incredibly flat, both felt and observed when videoed. Im wondering why many are going to .40cal. I understand the 9 round mags being downloaded helps on reloads. Many reload recipes have the same powder charge as 45. The extra FPS required for some of the lighter bullets would seem to create more recoil but I do know there are some 180g+ bullets. Anyone have some insight that would lead me to switch calibers?

I dont care about 9mm SS because im not TGO.

180g about 20% less than 230g bullets

9 round mags easy to seat with only 8 in them

Nice to barny without switching mags.

Able to shoot in L10 with a mag that is not all that long

Same load for Ltd gun and SS gun

I like the quicker recoil impulse of the .40

180g about 20% less than 230g bullets

9 round mags easy to seat with only 8 in them

Nice to barny without switching mags.

Able to shoot in L10 with a mag that is not all that long

Same load for Ltd gun and SS gun

I like the quicker recoil impulse of the .40

with simply switching your 180 gr bullet to the same manufacturers same shape 155 you will get a 140 pf round that generally will function the gun. Combine this with the 9 round mags and with the same gun you are now competitive in steel and IDPA ESP.

All in all the .40 is simply the most versatile gamer round. Regardless of the game you shoot.

All in all the .40 is simply the most versatile gamer round. Regardless of the game you shoot.

Pretty much the above statement is the really best reason. Recoil impulse, cost, convenience, etc. is all subjective to the individual. However, .40 is just about the most versatile round to experiment with for both major and minor PF over multiple platforms.

• 2 weeks later...

System "Corey" mags are what I use. The true .40 mags since I load short if you load long you may be advised to use 10mm mags. I get 10+1 so I can shoot IDPA with the same gear. plus they just work. I have 7 so I can start with 6 on the belt and one in the gun.

I'm running 10mm wilsons (47NX) in a SA Loaded, work great for me.

40sw has a much faster, snappier recoil than 45acp. I personally think the fast snap shoots flatter than the push of a 45acp with a good grip.

One thing to know about 40sw 1911s... probably everyone here is loading "long" 40sw... which is 1.180-1.200" OAL, as opposed to factory which is like 1.110-1.115". 1911s run better on this longer ammo... and depending on the gun you get, you might have to cut the throat deeper to have these longer bullets fit the chamber right.

MIke.

Edited by mikeg1005

40sw has a much faster, snappier recoil than 45acp. I personally think the fast snap shoots flatter than the push of a 45acp with a good grip.

One thing to know about 40sw 1911s... probably everyone here is loading "long" 40sw... which is 1.180-1.200" OAL, as opposed to factory which is like 1.110-1.115". 1911s run better on this longer ammo... and depending on the gun you get, you might have to cut the throat deeper to have these longer bullets fit the chamber right.

MIke.

Mike is on the money about that. My gunsmith reamed out the chamber to 10mm length. I load long as well and the gun has been reliable, especially when I did away with my shok buff.

MIke.

Mike is on the money about that. My gunsmith reamed out the chamber to 10mm length. I load long as well and the gun has been reliable, especially when I did away with my shok buff.

Both of you guys have misstated the work you've had done. Mike, the 'throat' of a barrel is the bevel at the front of the chamber that eases the transition of the cartridge into the chamber, and Dohboy, if you lengthened the 'chamber' to 10mm length then the 40 S&W cartridges would have nothing to hold them to the breechface except the extractor because the shoulder in the chamber would be further forward for 10mm case length. It seems that what both of you are talking about is the rifling 'leade;

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/leade

You should be better versed in the terminology before giving advice to others.

Edited by 392heminut

After a crap ton of google research and talking with some other single stackers (I'm in the same boat as you just picked up a springfield in .40) this forum echo's my findings in that the Tripp mags are the business. Just spoke to the good folks at Tripp Research the Cory mag/System mag are the same thing. Basically a 10mm mag cut down and mated with their high speed follower. The system mags will except 9 rounds to the top and downloaded to 8 for single stack are super reliable. Now I asked about these mags running 10 rounds for limited ten uspsa should the need or want ever arise and they said "YES SIR" and told to me to include what are called FLEX FOLLOWERS to make my system mags run 10. They included these followers at no charge when I called in my order.

System mags are $40.95 a piece and were $245.70 out the door for 6.

I know a bit spendy when compared to Wilson's offerings but from what I have read if you run a .40 1911 this is the best option and well I have in the past bought twice and cried twice NOT THIS TIME. I will update once I get everything in and get some range time. Hope I helped.

Mike, the 'throat' of a barrel is the bevel at the front of the chamber that eases the transition of the cartridge into the chamber,

You should be better versed in the terminology before giving advice to others.

You should probably know what you are talking about before you correct others.

For starters, the throat doesn't "eases the transition of the cartridge into the chamber". It eases the projectile transition into the riflings.

Second... "throat" is the term used for EVERYTHING between the end of the chamber and the beginning of the riflings.

The freebore, aka, leade is the portion right after the chamber, where the bullet travels through before entering the throat angle/riflings.

When you order a reamer to cut the freebore deeper to allow for a longer bullet, its called a "throat reamer" or "throater".

I am using the terminology that everyone else on this site uses for do the task described above.... cutting the throat to allow for for longer OAL 40sw.

Mike.

Edited by mikeg1005

Actually, I've been building 1911's for 30 years and I'm quite familiar with the terminology, but apparently you're not. Just because someone else or as you said "everyone else on this site" uses a name in an improper manner doesn't make it right, it only confuses the issue. Just because a reamer is called a throating reamer doesn't make the area it's used in a 'throat'. The reamer throats the rifling, the leade is not the throat. Call up one of the well known gunsmiths and ask them what area they work on when they throat a barrel. As a matter of fact, here are a couple of pics from Bill Wilson's 'The Combat Auto', pages 71&72. I guess he doesn't know what he is talking about either!

post-21-0-47657900-1359581406_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-82066800-1359581421_thumb.jpg

I can pull out more examples from other gunsmiths from the bookshelf, that is just the first one I grabbed, but if you still think you're right I won't waste any more of my time with you.

Out of all the threads on the internet, the term "reaming the throat" is used every single time to get longer ammo to feed. If you find the need to pick out every person's vocab and terminalogy then have at it, you've got a lot of typing to do... but that doesn't change the fact that the terms used (ones I used) seem to get the point across just fine for everyone.

Mike.

Edited by mikeg1005

Actually, you are extending the length of the chamber, the throat is the part leading from the front of the chamber to the rifling. Some guns/barrels just start the rifling at the front end of the chamber while others have a tapered "throat" leading to the rifling.