Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 swinging target for training

I cobbled this together from stuff I had laying around. No, it's not armor plate, but it's only gonna get shot at with a 22 (all steel is 1/4" thick though). The targets are held on by neodynium magnets. It will swing for 45 seconds once activated. Large, rusted metal plate is placed straight up, shoot a small plate off (they are 2.5" diameter), puts it out of balance, and it swings....no bearings, it's a 5/8" threaded rod, the "bearing" is a 5/8" nut I drilled, tapped and installed a grease fitting into.

post-18733-0-20328300-1358571313_thumb.j

You have been around here long enough to know better than this...where are the detail photos and video?

There is no detail...super simple... KISS....

I've got a video, but no you tube account to post it in...the arm holding the targets is a 1" flat bar, behind it is another 1" flat bar, welded to the front piece like a sideways T . The targets rest on the upright of the T, held on by magnets. The 5/8" nut is welded to a flat bar, and rod spices are welded top and bottom to screw the rods in.

Edited by GrumpyOne

Hey Grump,will post a pic of the back side?

I've used 1/4 6" plates for 22's and light 9's for awhile..

It will be quite a while before I can post them.... Already sent if off to the local club, and I'm outta the country for a month or so. Suffice it to say, the pic of the back would be nothing special....sideways T, targets on the upright of the T. No clamps, just magnets. The only thing I bought was the magnets...

Nice. (I found that larger calibers can be damage the magnets with bullet fragments, did that to one of my attempted designs... :( )

Not just the fragments. The high strength magnets are brittle as glass.

I have a target with several plates held on by magnets tucked into shrouds that protect them very well from bullet fragments. Errant 9mm hits to the face plate transmitted shock through the housing and shattered a few of the magnets.

Apparently they need to be seated in something elastic to absorb shock and enclosed in a housing to armor against the fragments.

I use the target for 22s at this point but I'm wondering if dipping the magnet in some liquid grip stuff they use to coat tool handles might be a way to toughen it up.