Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long is too long for a gun to be built.....

fastarget

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

When a gunsmith takes 4-6 months to fix a gun I believe that a year is not out of the ordinary. Most Mjr. Makers are taking a year. As for 3 and 5 years WOW. In the software we had a name for things like this it was called vaporware meaning software that really did not exist. Good luck getting your gun or at the least good luck getting your parts back. I hope it turns out well for you.

Edited by AlphaShot

How long is too long? when you are waiting longer than what they estimated when you sent them the gun. If he told you 3 years up front, then thats what it takes... if he told you 6 months, then you are waiting 2.5 years too long.

The rest of the world operates the same way, lead times are known in advance, and they expected not be exceeded. I think its not a lot to ask for a gunsmith to do the same.

Mike.

I'd agree with this.

However, what do you do when that estimated timeline gets thrown out the window? Its been longer than the lead time originally given to you, but you only get excuses, and stories of all the problems that are creating delays. Should that be acceptable?

I think a good response would be, "Get your rear in gear and build my gun or ship my parts back to me."

+1

Well, attempted to contact shortly after this thread was started, but we have not heard back. So, I am discussing this with my brother who is an FFL, selling him the parts and having him take over or contacting ATF or something.

I would but only if I receive a nod from one of the mods........however I will not use BE to spam someone, the thread was started just to get a feel of properly allowed times.

Edited by fastarget

I talked to Eddie Garcia from Cameron's Custom Guns about the start to finish build time for their competition pistols and he said that the average wait time is 2 months. These guys build awesome and 100% effective custom 1911/2011 pistols in a very reasonable turn around time. For all of the guys wanting an effective Single Stack, Limited, or Open gun in a reasonable turn around time here you go.

I ordered my Open gun from Shay Akai the last week of December. I received the gun last week and that included him sending it out to be hard chromed. I would have had it much sooner if it had an in house finish on it.

I talked to Eddie Garcia from Cameron's Custom Guns about the start to finish build time for their competition pistols and he said that the average wait time is 2 months. These guys build awesome and 100% effective custom 1911/2011 pistols in a very reasonable turn around time. For all of the guys wanting an effective Single Stack, Limited, or Open gun in a reasonable turn around time here you go.

I just ordered a 5" 2011 Limited from Eddie last week after cancelling an order I had placed with a very well known smith. I had a three month window to completion but three weeks later I got an e mail saying that the completion date had to be moved out 2 more months. Started to get a bad feeling about the whole situation and since I did not want to miss the summer shooting season in the upper midwest I looked around for a used gun. A high school buddy of mine who lives in Chandler AZ told me to give Eddie a call. Two days later I had a order placed. With the high demand these days all it takes is a unforseen delay in a parts order from a frame, slide or barrel manufacturer to throw your schedule into the the trash. Also it is not nice to substitute parts to try and make up for a shortage of origional spec. parts. While I was on the phone with Eddie he asked an emloyee if they had frames in stock for my build. I was told they had them and that I should have it in 90 days or less so I placed my order. Now all I have to do find magazines ...........

This is good info. I ordered an STI for 'x' company which they build on December 15. They said I would have it March 15th (so that's 13 weeks). I called a week ago and they said they were 6 weeks behind. So looking at dates...that's about 20 weeks if they don't postpone again. Note: I ordered the gun before the high demand kicked in overdrive.

I know this is a newbie question, but in reading some of these posts, it seems that if I order a new, custom pistol from cameron, Akai, etc., it doesn't come with even one magazine??

I did notice that on one of Brazo's custom Edge guns, it does say it comes with a 126mm mag. So, which mag for a .40 is used most in the limited category?? The 126 or 140??

I looked at Dawson website, and they show .40 2011 HiCap mags in stock,which hold 13 rounds. How many rds, does a 140 mag hold?? A 126??

All this is very confusing!! ;^)

Melvin

Ok, I need help with the next step, just attempted to contact today by phone and I am getting "this is not a working number" message from the phone company......

Shooters from NV may be able to get some info, PM please.

Edited by fastarget

I know this is a newbie question, but in reading some of these posts, it seems that if I order a new, custom pistol from cameron, Akai, etc., it doesn't come with even one magazine?? I did notice that on one of Brazo's custom Edge guns, it does say it comes with a 126mm mag. So, which mag for a .40 is used most in the limited category?? The 126 or 140?? I looked at Dawson website, and they show .40 2011 HiCap mags in stock,which hold 13 rounds. How many rds, does a 140 mag hold?? A 126?? All this is very confusing!! ;^) Melvin

Brazos will include one 140mm tuned mag with the purchase of a limited gun. And with the purchase of a gun you can purchase a 4 pack of tuned magazines for $400 instead of the regular $600 price.

Ok, I need help with the next step, just attempted to contact today by phone and I am getting "this is not a working number" message from the phone company......

At this point, I would contact an attorney.

Sorry to hear this.

I have been in the same situation before, it sucks.

My faith in the smithing industry took a hit because of it.

Hope everything works out!

I know this is a newbie question, but in reading some of these posts, it seems that if I order a new, custom pistol from cameron, Akai, etc., it doesn't come with even one magazine?? I did notice that on one of Brazo's custom Edge guns, it does say it comes with a 126mm mag. So, which mag for a .40 is used most in the limited category?? The 126 or 140?? I looked at Dawson website, and they show .40 2011 HiCap mags in stock,which hold 13 rounds. How many rds, does a 140 mag hold?? A 126?? All this is very confusing!! ;^) Melvin

Brazos will include one 140mm tuned mag with the purchase of a limited gun. And with the purchase of a gun you can purchase a 4 pack of tuned magazines for $400 instead of the regular $600 price.

Thanks for that info. I remember reading about getting the mags cheaper when you buy a gun.