Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need NF Velocity 600 Reticle Input

Nick Weidhaas

I've been looking at the NF 2.5-10x w/ their Velocity 600 reticle for an SPR type upper I have. I fed their on line calc data for my .223 55 and 75 gr loads and the LV reticle seems right on. Anyone messed with one? Did u find the on line NF calc accurate? Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Only if your rifle/barrel combo generates the same velocity and your scope is mounted with same bore offset (height above bore) as the spec for the reticle calls for. Little differences will not make much difference inside 3-400 yds, but will start making a pretty big difference a little farther out.

Only if your rifle/barrel combo generates the same velocity and your scope is mounted with same bore offset (height above bore) as the spec for the reticle calls for. Little differences will not make much difference inside 3-400 yds, but will start making a pretty big difference a little farther out.

Thanks, but I realize that. You can input all your data into the NF Velocity reticle calc. The two loads I ran (known bc, velocity, enviro. conditions) put me within less than a 1/2 moa poa v. poi out to 600 on paper. I was looking for field experience with the reticle. Todd also suggested you can fine tune your poi by moving the scope between 9X and 10X. Not a sniper rig. This is a SPR rig and looking for fast elevation holds on 10" steel plates. Wind is another story, but the reticle assists with wind holds as well (as long as you can call it :surprise: ).

• 2 weeks later...

What division(s) are you going to use your NXS 2.5-10's? Tactical? Open?

I've been on a market for a new scope for few months now and kinda leaning towards this NXS 2.5-10x32. I am planning to use this scope for the Tactical division while running offset iron sights for the close-up targets. I still don't understand why most folks use 1x-4x or 1.5-5x for 3-gun competition...

I've been looking at the NF 2.5-10x w/ their Velocity 600 reticle for an SPR type upper I have. I fed their on line calc data for my .223 55 and 75 gr loads and the LV reticle seems right on. Anyone messed with one? Did u find the on line NF calc accurate? Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

I have used this scope on my .223 precision gun and on my .308 SCAR. Good scope. With the .223 it was not quite on and I had to dial up at 3 4 and 5 hundred yards. My load is going a bit slower than needed for the reticle. With the .308 SCAR and 155 grain AMAX it was dead on. I would have preferred the marks be in mils vs a BDC now. But still a good scope.

Pat

I've been on a market for a new scope for few months now and kinda leaning towards this NXS 2.5-10x32. I am planning to use this scope for the Tactical division while running offset iron sights for the close-up targets. I still don't understand why most folks use 1x-4x or 1.5-5x for 3-gun competition...

Becasue the times you will need 1x is far greater than you would ever need anything more than 4 or 6x. Off set irons are slower than a 1x scope at least for me and I tried them. Also with good glass you can shoot just fine to the range we shoot in 3 gun with just 4 or 6x. 10 is too much and limits your field of view on all but the longest shots on single targets.

Pat

Wasn't planning on using this upper/optic in 3gun. Just looking for a mid range SPR optic for an upper I have. Personally, I don't think the 2.5-10X32 or anything similar is a good choice for Tac division. As other's have mentioned, you will be much happier with a good 1-4X or 1-6X optic. My favorites are the original Meopta Kdot 1-4X and the new Vortex HD 1-6X. I tried the offset iron sights with a Trijicon TA11 in my early 3gun days and although the TA11 was nice at distance, I didn't care for the irons and didn't like the transition back and forth. My son shoots a Leupold 2-7X and an offset dot in Open div. and I think this is a much better place for this combo.

In 3gun, the percentage of your shots are closer and the 1X on the low end is more important than the high end. True 1X with forgiving eye box and large fov is the ticket. 4X is plenty of magnification to hit a 10" plate at 400 if you know your holds. Looking forward to messing with the Vortex and its hold-over reticle. Love the smaller dot in the Vortex. Since we just got another 2ft of snow this week, it will be a while before I can give the Vortex a good text. In 7+ years of 3gun shooting the Meopta Kdot 1-4X has proven an awesome optic for targets 400 yards and in.

I've actually decided to give one of the new Vortex PST 2.5-10X44 ffp optics a try for this SPR type upper I have. Should be available by spring. Good company reputation and warranty, matching reticle / turret, zero stop, ill ret and ffp for 1/2 the cost of the NF. Don't get me wrong the NF is awesome, but for my needs I'm hoping the Vortex will fill the bill and leave some $ in my pocket.

Edited by Nick Weidhaas

thank you, guys, for your inputs! I just ordered Vortex HD razor 1-6x... The reviews for this scope on these forums looked awesome and I was sold.

Now, the question is what mounts for this scope shall I get? I want quick release. I am not sure how much offset (2 or 3 inches) I shall get... any help/insights are very much appreciated. thanks

Call Larue Tactical. Tell them what you have and its application. They'll be able to take care of you. I would also look at Warne. They make some rock solid stuff even though its not quick release. With a SPR I can't imagine you would really be taking it off of your rifle that much anyway. And they have been a fantastic supporter of our sport.

thank you, guys, for your inputs! I just ordered Vortex HD razor 1-6x... The reviews for this scope on these forums looked awesome and I was sold.

Now, the question is what mounts for this scope shall I get? I want quick release. I am not sure how much offset (2 or 3 inches) I shall get... any help/insights are very much appreciated. thanks

Go with ADM or Bobro for QD mounts. Here is one to look at.

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/5/

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo