Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Primer Crushing and another issue

There is another problem no one seems to have addressed , unless I have missed it . Depending on the

powder you are using it can get jammed in the shell plate where the brass case should sit totally

back towards the center of the plate. I was loading some H 4895 extruded rod powder which

clogged the shell plate and caused the cases to be misaligned even though the primer punch

lever is in its correct position . Hope this helps also .Merv

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/31/2013 at 7:12 PM, drouinhomebuilders said:

Well I found the problem

I finally got on to Dillon with Brains help

(Your a gentleman Brian, thank you immensely)

After pulling it down for the third time, I noticed scratches on the underside of the primer disk that wernt there last time,

Upon further investigation I found the primer seating rod wasn't retracting all the way & sometimes slightly grabbing the primer disk & not allowing it to index 100./' correctly

Then cam the woozie,

The primer seating conversion that screws in from under the press base had come loose & wound out partially from the threads

How did this happen?????

If you look down from the shell plate,

The primer disk indexes counterclockwise

and the primer seating conversion punch unthreads clockwise (from the top side anyway)

What was happening was as the disk scraped it actually was undoing the primer punch on the seating conversion

When I got the seating conversion out of the press the punch was 1/8" proud of the face of it, stopping the punch retracting properly

I soaked it in paint thinners for an hour, then worked it back & forth in the thinners until I got all the gunk out

How gunk, dust actually, can get down in there is beyond me!!!!

Dillon have a replacement primer seating conversion on the way to me, in the meantime this one will get me by

That punch conversion had been in there for about 11k rounds

From now on I will store my primer conversion in a glass jar of alcohol

With it all back together again, it is running sweet as ever

Thank you again Brian & also Dillon

Much appreciated

Peter

shitballs