Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Primer Crushing and another issue

Thanks dog

I pulled the primer assembly apart and cleaned it first up

I'm sure my shell plate is 100./' correct tight

You know what is bothering me?

I did the shell plate bearing conversion about the same time this issue started as my press had very bad backlash problems to the point that I couldn't use powders like unique

After doing the bearing conversion it solved my powder spilling problems and at the time I was over the moon about the conversion

BUT now I'm having second thoughts?????

Over the last few days I've loaded approx 7k 45acp and I have bent 1x 13662 Primer indexing arm, also badly chewed out 1x 13670 Primer cam & are starting to wear another

My theory is that with the shell plate bearing installed it is more likely or possible to get the priming operation out of sync

ie- there are times where you hesitate or move the handle back a bit & then continue & by doing that you mess up the indexing of the rotary primer disk???

I would like some input from others about this please

My intentions at this time is to clip half a coil from the shell plate indexing spring and also to remove the bottom washer from the bearing conversion???

I do know this is frustrating me immensely and really FWIW Dillon should really have addressed the issue of 650's sloshing powders as the shell plate indexes to the next station

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks dog

I pulled the primer assembly apart and cleaned it first up

I'm sure my shell plate is 100./' correct tight

You know what is bothering me?

I did the shell plate bearing conversion about the same time this issue started as my press had very bad backlash problems to the point that I couldn't use powders like unique

After doing the bearing conversion it solved my powder spilling problems and at the time I was over the moon about the conversion

BUT now I'm having second thoughts?????

Over the last few days I've loaded approx 7k 45acp and I have bent 1x 13662 Primer indexing arm, also badly chewed out 1x 13670 Primer cam & are starting to wear another

My theory is that with the shell plate bearing installed it is more likely or possible to get the priming operation out of sync

ie- there are times where you hesitate or move the handle back a bit & then continue & by doing that you mess up the indexing of the rotary primer disk???

I would like some input from others about this please

My intentions at this time is to clip half a coil from the shell plate indexing spring and also to remove the bottom washer from the bearing conversion???

I do know this is frustrating me immensely and really FWIW Dillon should really have addressed the issue of 650's sloshing powders as the shell plate indexes to the next station

Ive tried both the bearing and cutting the spring. The bearing caused more problems as noted above and the spring cut didn't fix the snapping and spilling. I just grab the brass just before it stops with my left index finger to prevent the snap and it works perfectly. takes a little while to get use to it but it works great. I loaded 2,000 rounds and virtually no powder spill. I know this comment is off topic here but applies if you remove the bearing to fix other problems.

Thanks Rob

That idea about grabbing the case might work, but really it sucks

Dillon are so busy they aren't answering the phone, I've been trying to call but can't get through

This morning I am going to pull it down take a real good look as I have a new unused small primer conversion at hand & try & see what's going on

I may even change out this small conversion to large & see what happens

That bottom bearing washer is definitely going as well

I'm really wondering if I should be trying to source a replacement spring from someone like wolf gun springs?

Something is definitely awry as I have started badly wearing that 2nd primer cam in less than 1k rounds

I agree it is a pain but I got tired of spilling powder all over the place especially with 9mm. Now that I have done it for thousands of rounds I don't realize I am doing it. Obviously with .45 acp I really don't need to do it. I did cut about 1/4 off of the spring trying that fix as well. It didn't solve the problem but I did leave that fix in. Please let us know what Dillon says. I still fight the sideways primer in the brass issue. I only see it sporadically so I have tried to fix it.

Man, for the life of me I can't figure out your problem. My bearing kit fixed all of my problems and created none. A buddy put one on his press and had a problem but we figured out that he put the bearing under his shell plate. You didn't by chance do the same thing did you? That bearing should have no bearing whatsoever on the indexing of your press.

It goes on top. If it is underneath it lifts the plate up too high for the ball bearing to lock in the index. Put the bearing on top of the plate with only one washer on top of the bearing. Put the main bolt back in and tighten it until the plate just moves smoothly when turned by hand. The bearing allows you to tighten the plate down more than is considered normal. This is what eliminates the snap.

+1 for Sarge

ONLY install the top washer

There is no valid reason to have the bottom washer, in fact it is detremental to the cause of what is trying to be achieved

That bottom washer increase height unnecessarily & may lead to other issues

In fact first thing this morning I tried doing away with the bearing all together BUT I still had the powder slosh & snapping issue so I clipped the spring twice @ max half a coil & while that did help it wasn't good enough so the bearing minus bottom washer went back in

I'm still having problems & have only loaded approx 900 in 2 days

I'm about to pull my hair out

I had similar issues with my press, I now use slide glide to lube my bearing fix and other area's on the press...

My primer assembly was screwed, I tried to rebild it and put a new disc in and new springs and it was no better, I got a brand new assembley and it solved all my issues...

I just got it all back together & after playing with the business card spacing, its worse,

I am getting at least 1 maybe 2 very badly crushed primers per 100 as per Franko79's pictures on the previous page

& maybe 3-4 not so bad, but unusable per 100, its unacceptable.

If only I could get onto someone at Dillon

You really need to call Dillon. Something is wrong with the primer system.

Well I found the problem

I finally got on to Dillon with Brains help

(Your a gentleman Brian, thank you immensely)

After pulling it down for the third time, I noticed scratches on the underside of the primer disk that wernt there last time,

Upon further investigation I found the primer seating rod wasn't retracting all the way & sometimes slightly grabbing the primer disk & not allowing it to index 100./' correctly

Then cam the woozie,

The primer seating conversion that screws in from under the press base had come loose & wound out partially from the threads

How did this happen?????

If you look down from the shell plate,

The primer disk indexes counterclockwise

and the primer seating conversion punch unthreads clockwise (from the top side anyway)

What was happening was as the disk scraped it actually was undoing the primer punch on the seating conversion

When I got the seating conversion out of the press the punch was 1/8" proud of the face of it, stopping the punch retracting properly

I soaked it in paint thinners for an hour, then worked it back & forth in the thinners until I got all the gunk out

How gunk, dust actually, can get down in there is beyond me!!!!

Dillon have a replacement primer seating conversion on the way to me, in the meantime this one will get me by

That punch conversion had been in there for about 11k rounds

From now on I will store my primer conversion in a glass jar of alcohol

With it all back together again, it is running sweet as ever

Thank you again Brian & also Dillon

Much appreciated

Peter

I have a fairly new 650.. for some reason every once in a while.. i load a bullet that has no primer. last time i reloaded about 150 rounds i had 4 bullets loaded without a primer.. . and i find primers in that little primer chute on the right side... any ideas to correct this malfunction...

Had this issue along with primers that would jam in the auto filler. Winchester smal pistol primers loading 40 S@W. Some of the primers are not round but oval one batch really gave me a hard time. Spent Friday afternoon cleaning and polishing everything in the primer system. Ran Q-Tips with a small amount of Simichrome polish through the tubes. Polished the primer disc and did a slight bevel on the holes. The punch was level and the book said level or just a little under so left the punch alone. Put a 45 case on the plastic primer tube pusher.

Ran two hundred after cleaning and polish without problems.

Cecil

Before I had the major problems this also happened to me every now & then

Basically something is either dirty or you have a burr somewhere

First I would run a couple of pipe cleaners saturated in alcohol of

Thinners back & forth to clean your feed tubes

Take your circular primer disk out & put it FLAT on a sharpening stone with oil & polish it flat cleaning both faces, then take the right size drill bit & clean the chamfers on the primer disk holes where the primers go in & ride

Lastly before re- assembling it all check out the aluminum base of the press where the primer disk rotates, if you have ever blown a primer you may have burrs on the base from an anvil

Or

You've got an anvil that has put a nick in the base

It will be something small so take a real good look

It doesn't take muck of an imperfection in the primer disk or the base to screw up the feeding of primers

LASTLY I have adopted the policy of not recycling good primers that come down the ski jump when I am having issues like this, just throw em in the trash as the stress factor far out weighs the cost of aggravation & the perceived primer value

You might just find the offender being an irregular primer that you are re-cycling

Likewise any primers that have fallen on the ground need to be deep sixed

If you are or ever run a RF100 you will learn these lessons very quickly

The primer cost loss is nothing compared to the stress of primers stuck in a feed tube & the associated danger of trying to get an out of round primer dislodged from a feed tube, been there, done that

I recently blew a primer in a RF100 feed tube & shot myself in the finger with the anvil

DANGER DANGER

A lesson quickly learnt