Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire with your imagination

ddpenn

Even though visualization helps, it doesn't replace the fundamental techniques that are required. Similar to golf, you can visualize a perfect drive, but if you haven't practiced how to swing a club, you have no chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though visualization helps, it doesn't replace the fundamental techniques that are required. Similar to golf, you can visualize a perfect drive, but if you haven't practiced how to swing a club, you have no chance.

Agreed, however, it will help your game if you already know how to "do it".

I would wager, many in the Super Squad do it before each stage.

Whether they will admit it or not is another question.

To add : did I get off base? I went into visualization before shooting a stage, not for dryfire practice- sorry.

Edited by Reinz

Thought this was interesting. I think it means I can just visualize dry firing without having to do it anymore.

From what that video says that's somewhat true but it also says that the people that only imagined what they were doing didn't improve as much as the ones doing it physically. With that being said that doesn't mean you can't imagine doing it when you don't have the opportunity to do the physical aspect. Truly, dry fire practice is using your imagination to simulate actual course of fire anyways just with a small amount of the physical aspect of shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it means I can just visualize dry firing without having to do it anymore.

http://gizmodo.com/5...sical-abilities

Watch the video again. Visualizing isn't a complete substitute, but it does demonstrate how powerful the mental aspect actually is.

These types of videos are usually pretty interesting, but they're too short to be exhaustive and it's easy to reach the wrong conclusions from them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it means I can just visualize dry firing without having to do it anymore.

More accurately, I think it means you can visualize all week and then live-fire on the weekend and get similar results to live-firing all week. And that's not too different from the accepted wisdom around here that you can dry-fire all week and then live-fire on the weekend.

Visualization is used in many sports, very effectively. Fist one that comes to mind is aerobatics. Before any flight you can see the pilots standing around turning and spinning, visualizing the entire routine.

I think it was the Russians that really brought modern visualization to sports for gymnastics.

Isn't dry fire really a bit of a form of visualization also?

Tar

Visualization is used in many sports, very effectively. Fist one that comes to mind is aerobatics. Before any flight you can see the pilots standing around turning and spinning, visualizing the entire routine.

I think it was the Russians that really brought modern visualization to sports for gymnastics.

Isn't dry fire really a bit of a form of visualization also?

Tar

"The Self-Image cannot tell the difference between what actually happens and what is vividly imagined"

from With Winning in Mind by Lanny Bassham.

"The Self-Image cannot tell the difference between what actually happens and what is vividly imagined"

Job 3:25 "For what I fear comes upon me, And what I dread befalls me."

This knife cuts both ways. Visualize shooting a stage in perfect form.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Job 3:25 "For what I fear comes upon me, And what I dread befalls me."

This knife cuts both ways. Visualize shooting a stage in perfect form.

Tar

"The Subconscious moves you to do whatever the Conscious Mind is picturing".

I think you're exactly right, Picture it perfect with the Conscious Mind because thats what the Subconscious is going to follow.