He is out of his mind.

His skill has not changed,

But the prize divides him.

He cares

He thinks more of winning

Than of shooting –

And the need to win

Drains him of power.

That is great stuff, I have felt that way before, and it did not accur to me that I was killing my match, I couldnt focus, and I was being hard on myself, A wise mentor that I shoot with told me that night at the motel that we were staying in, he never shoots a match for the prize table, He was so right, the next day I put it out of my mind and had 3 good stages

Chuang Tzu Story - The need to win

When an archer is shooting for fun

He has all his skill.

If he shoots for a brass buckle

He is already nervous.

If he shoots for a prize of gold

He goes blind

Or sees two targets –

He is out of his mind.

His skill has not changed,

But the prize divides him.

He cares

He thinks more of winning

Than of shooting –

And the need to win

Drains him of power.

Very well put!!!!

• 2 months later...

For a longer and more detailed version of how that works the best book I ever read on that topic was The Inner Game of Golf by Timothy Gallwey. A freind recommended it to me a long time ago. Although I'm not where I would like to be yet, it helped me a lot and put things in perspective for me.

Edited by Dragon11

For a longer and more detailed version of how that works the best book I ever read on that topic was The Inner Game of Golf by Timothy Gallwey. A freind recommended it to me a long time ago. Although I'm not where I would like to be yet, it helped me a lot and put things in perspective for me.

Thanks, I'll look for that one. Another good one is The Mental Game of Golf by Patrick J.Cohn. Just substitute the word shooting for golf.

Thanks, I'll look for that one. Another good one is The Mental Game of Golf by Patrick J.Cohn. Just substitute the word shooting for golf.

And the thirst for knowledge continues, thanks for the repeat info, I will do the same.

For a longer and more detailed version of how that works the best book I ever read on that topic was The Inner Game of Golf by Timothy Gallwey.

The Inner Game of Golf is a revised version of The Inner Game of Tennis, which Brian Enos mentions in his book, if I recall correctly. Gallwey was a tennis coach who realized that all his "helpful" advice backfired by taking players out of their subconscious flow and making them think instead:

The "inner game" is based upon certain principles in which an individual uses non-judgmental observations of critical variables, with the purpose of being accurate about these observations. If the observations are accurate, the person's body will adjust and correct automatically to achieve best performance.