Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting press to bench

okorpheus

I received my lee classic turret and other reloading tools yesterday and am ready to get started loading (as soon as I pick a powder and bullet). I'm hoping there are some on here with more experience working with wood that can help. My bench has a 2x4 right on the front edge as a support. Drilling through the top and bolting the back of the press down is easy, but the holes in the front of the press are directly above the 2x4. What is the best way for me to attach to the bench? Drill all the way through the 2x4 and get a couple of long bolts? Drill a channel in the back of the 2x4 so I can get a bolt and nut in there? Mount the press to a different board and clamp it down or bolt that board down behind the 2x4? What's the best/easiest/cheapest option?

+1 on the bolts all the way thru the 2x4. If the surface the rear bolt goes thru is a composite like particle board or MDF you might consider putting a large dia. Fender washer on the underside to reinforce that connection.

My bench is 2" solid oak. I have an additional oak 2x6 forming the front edge. ALL bolts extend through both pieces of oak with 1-1/2" fender washers under the nuts. They can NEVER be too solid when it comes to holding the press in place.

As long as your holes are centered, 5/16(diameteter) lag bolts going into 4" of wood with hold great. I do it all the time with lots of my presses. However, by looking at your pic, you may be off center quite a bit and may have to drill through and see if you get by with out having to channel and chisel.

Best of Luck

Edited by Reinz

Yep just lag it with the biggest size diameter shaft you can get through the holes in the press with a minimum of 1" penetration into the 2x4 but preferably 1 1/2". Each lag can withstand approximately 3,000 lbs of force according to my little engineering book. You bench will need more bracin before the lags give way. If you were to drill erotically through the 2x4 then you need to stay within the center 1/3 of the member of laterall force will be lost and the bolt could splinter out of the structural member. Although we prefer bolts in the Engineerig world because we can't see the size of the lags that are already installed and lets just say the guys installing them don't always do per recommended tables and notes, lags hold nearly as much uplift pull force in this situation.