Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 pistol for steel/practice?

kibster

Hello: We use Browning Buckmarks and a Smith and Wesson model 41. I prefer the model 41 because of the larger trigger gaurd and the way it points. The Buckmarks are great with a lighter barrel. We tried the Rugers but my kids both liked the Brownings better. I tried different conversion setups but it is not the same so why not get a complete pistol. Thanks, Eric

I just shot a speed steel match and lots of folks had .22 pistols. It looked like a bunch of Rugers, but is there one recommended above others? Hi Standard? Is there one that can be customized more easily down the road?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum...

Thanks!

Been shooting for a few years center fire, first time I shot a Real Steel Challenge match last week (don't have any back in the burgh..) Very surprised how many shooters were using 22's, there were so many different 22's it was amazing and I was surprised how much fun I had with a 22. Take your time there are a whole lot of choices

I inherited 3 colt woodsman match targets, a smith 41, a bernedeli, a mki, and 2 mkii's, an old buckmark, a couple of high standards, and I'm thinking it's bully barrel time for the 41. I might flute up the mkII, and volksquarten it out too. was going to buy a new buckmark and tacsol it up on the cheap, but why not put something together with some nostalgia to work? I must have 30 .22 pistols and rifles now, and they are my favorite guns to shoot. I can stay busy all day for about $40.

I've got a couple of 22/45 Rugers with replaceable grips. A "Lite" version with Cmore and a 6 7/8" "Hunter' bbl for iron sight class. VQ internals in both. Love 'em! YouTube helps you thru installs and tear downs the first couple of times. After that everything just falls into place.

My vote would be a dedicated Tactical Solutions upper on a 1911/ 2011. Otherwise, I'd vote for the Ruger Mk type pistol. As for the Ruger takedown, the first few times can be tough, but the gun breaks down easier once it becomes worn and you also become more familiar with it. It's been said that the most common "box o' gun" to show up at a gun shop for re-assembly is by far, the Ruger Mk. A new tight one and/ or heavily fowled one can be a challenge. In addition to Ruger made guns, Tactical Solutions makes nice barreled uppers (the registered receiver of the Ruger). As well, Volquartsen makes some really nice barreled uppers and complete lowers (with nice triggers). They also make complete guns, although pricey, they are really nice. Also, they make a "Competition Bolt" that gives a nice extension off the back of the gun for easier loading, clearing, etc.

One option not mentioned that specifically addresses the Ruger Mk take down issues is the Majestic Arms, "The Speed Strip Kit." Once installed, it allows you to remove the bolt from the upper very easily (you have to take it completely apart to get it out otherwise). With the Speed Strip Kit, you can remove the bolt without taking down the lower (or removing the upper from the lower). You have to do it to install it, which means taking the gun apart at least once (you can easily have a gunsmith do it for you), but it makes cleaning much easier and faster with the complete bolt out. You can then access the upper, lower and barrel (back to front). Check out their web site and video.

Edited by MDW