Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 pistol for steel/practice?

kibster

I just shot a speed steel match and lots of folks had .22 pistols. It looked like a bunch of Rugers, but is there one recommended above others? Hi Standard? Is there one that can be customized more easily down the road?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum...

Thanks!

Or, if you prefer (some do I hear) the 1911 platform, there is the GSG 1911. Lots of goodies to bolt on, and easy to convert the mags to 14 rounds. Oh, you don't live in N.Y. do you? Nice to shoot the "same gun" for practice. I have a Buckmark which I use as a steel gun too, and they both shoot fine, but the 1911 has that different feel thing going for it...

Another GSG-1911 in .22LR (same as the Sig .22LR 1911) user here, mine has been good but have been running it so hard had a few parts break. No big deal.

If you want just a secondary gun to practice/play-around with the GSG-1911 is fine. If you want to get serious about it you need to replace some parts to add durability.

If you want a gun that approximates your center-fire gun for practice, then GSG-1911 (if you are a 1911 shooter) or S&W's M&P-22 pistol (if you are a M&P kinda person).

The M&P-22 is a great pistol no reliability probems in my experience, but trigger pull is not a great "competition" use trigger.

If you want a dedicated steel-shooting pistol and don't care about it aproximating another center-fire pistol you own, then Ruger .22, Buckmark, or hey just spend the money on a S&W Model 41 if you're really serious :devil:

I have a Ruger Mk2 that has probably 3000,000 rounds through it. It's so worn out that the top rattles if you shake it! It shoots fine, but is really only usefull for a fun gun. The Mk3 22/45 is showing up more and more at the .22 steel shoots (like the PSA rimfire challenge in Oct), and has some nice features. Drop free mags, grip angle, etc. Lots of goodies available too. A little pricier than the GSG. Lots of good choices in the "what to buy" catagory!

I have a Colt Match Target and Browning Buckmark. Nice guns. There are a lot of Buckmarks in the steel game.

However, I have a TS upper that fits both my SS and Wide Body. In addition, I purchased the extra rail so I can shoot iron or optical sights.

Although a lot of people shoot the Ruger 22/45, there is no comparison to actually shooting your match frame and trigger with a TS upper. The advantage of the TS is that once you take it off the gun and put it back on you do not have to sight it in again like you do with the Marvel. The Marvel requires torquing down the slide to the frame each time. This will change the point of aim---at least in my experience. I sold my Marvel and replaced it with the TS. I also have a TS for my AR!

I have a Colt Match Target and Browning Buckmark. Nice guns. There are a lot of Buckmarks in the steel game.

However, I have a TS upper that fits both my SS and Wide Body. In addition, I purchased the extra rail so I can shoot iron or optical sights.

Although a lot of people shoot the Ruger 22/45, there is no comparison to actually shooting your match frame and trigger with a TS upper. The advantage of the TS is that once you take it off the gun and put it back on you do not have to sight it in again like you do with the Marvel. The Marvel requires torquing down the slide to the frame each time. This will change the point of aim---at least in my experience. I sold my Marvel and replaced it with the TS. I also have a TS for my AR!

You can't beat the TS Conversion for a 2011, Yes it's pricey but is the best 22 set up I have ever owned Edited by RCC1

I had a Ruger and it ran like a champ. Wife and I now have a pair of Buckmarks and neither feeds or ejects reliably. I'm looking at a conversion for her 1911. IMHO keeping the sight picture and overall feel consistant will be a great benefit.

I had a 22/45 and sold it because they are extremely difficult to clean/break down.. other than that though, solid gun, some controls were a little tricky, but you'll very quickly make up in ammo what you spend on gun..

Even if you don't train with the exact gun you use, you can still learn the basics: trigger squeeze, sight picture, calling shots, etc..

I use a Ruger MKIII 22/45RP, bull barrel, volquartsen trigger kit, Cmore. Might be the most fun gun I own... Especially coupled with the "ultimate clip loader" ... Wow you can shoot 22 ammo fast! :cheers:

As to cleaning... You get good at taking them apart. I normally just wipe mine down and run a bore snake through it. About every 5k I'll strip it. I had to replace the extractor at about 20k.

Or, if you prefer (some do I hear) the 1911 platform, there is the GSG 1911. Lots of goodies to bolt on, and easy to convert the mags to 14 rounds. Oh, you don't live in N.Y. do you? Nice to shoot the "same gun" for practice. I have a Buckmark which I use as a steel gun too, and they both shoot fine, but the 1911 has that different feel thing going for it...

I have a Colt gold cup 22, runs great when clean. How do you convert mags. to 14 rounds?

GSG mags use a big, wide follower. They are way deeper than they need to be. You can buy the smaller followers, or, with a little Dremel magic, cut them down... I think they were a GSG priority thing, tho. Don't think it would work with the Colt style mags?

GSG mags use a big, wide follower. They are way deeper than they need to be. You can buy the smaller followers, or, with a little Dremel magic, cut them down... I think they were a GSG priority thing, tho. Don't think it would work with the Colt style mags?

the Colt mags. have a narrow but fairly long follower, so not sure if they can be modified . Thanks though

I have a Buckmark with Pac-lite barrel from Tactical Solutions, iron sights. Also have a Marvel conversion for my 1911. Put a dot and comp on it as well. The biggest frustration I have is the Kimber .22 mags will not run in the gun...feed lips sit too high and the slide cannot close. So I have five Colt Ace mags and it runs well.

I have 3 guns I use for SC a Model 41 S&W with a Clark STC Barrel and C-more RTS 7 min dot, a dedicted Caspian 1911 frame with a Marvel Unit 1 conversion and a ,C-More 8 min dot, Buckmark that has been modofied with a TacSol barrel, grip frame adapters ( widens the frame and accepts 1911 grip panels making it just like a true 1911 frame) trigger, Allchin C-More mount with C-More with 8 min dot

Edited by Jaxshooter