Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primers and powder sources

robmont

Concidering handloading because it's so hard to find new mfg'd. ammo now, and it's expensive. But.........can't seem to find a good source for primers and powder either. Powder Valley and Midway USA are both completely out of primers, and powder is scarce too. Makes me a little relunctant to dive right into handloading, spend all that money on equipment, and then not be able to buy the raw materials. I've read a few of the posts about which primer or powder is best, but what difference does it make if it's impossible to find? I know that this is just a temporary condition.......or is it?

I think you will find it a temporary situation, similiar to the last one. I don't think we'll get the "assault weapon ban" thru Congress and once the panic dies down everything should be in stock again.

(This, of course, is just one persons opinion !)

A lot of panic buying is going on right now. Things should settle down if history is any indication. Handloading is a great way to save some money on ammo and get the loads you want. The cost can add up quickly when you are first starting out but you will recover that in the long run. Plus, handloading is very enjoyable and I find it is great way to better know my guns and ammo choices.

Check with some of your local gun stores for primers and powder. While the price may be higher, you can usually find what you want and you can save on the hazmat and shipping fees. Good luck and have fun.

~mtuck

The panic buying is creating the part of the shortage, much like 4 years ago when Obama was first elected. Once the panic died down there were still shortages but it was more of a Powder valley is out for this week while Grafs has plenty on hand, but will have plenty on hand next week of the primer you are looking for. Your local reloading supply store might be short now but in another couple of months they will have plenty on hand or waiting on that weeks truck to drop off their order.

It is also a cyclical time of the year for reloading. Most people are prepping for the next shooting season and order their supplies in October/November/December which also creates a shortage. We tend to do a group buy when we place our order and 60 to 80 K of primers puts a dent in the supply chain especially when you have several dozen groups placing orders of the same size each of those months.

Yea just like the last time we had panic buys, people started getting into reloading because they couldn't find ammo on the shelves. And just as fast as the ammo dries up, the components dry up. And just like Poppa Bear mention this is the time of year alot of competitive shooters order for the whole year. So kinda a perfect storm of drying up the shelves so to speak.

Last time I dealt with this I just placed my order and waited for the back-order to catch up. I split it into 2 separate orders. One for powder and the other for primers. As each shipment came in they filled my order. Granted 16 lbs of powder and 20 K of primers diluted the haz mat pretty well on each order.