Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are shooting boxes necessary?

Graham Smith

We mostly use marks for toes/heels on fault lines, marks on walls for hands, hands on door handle or grasping port or barricade as start positions. We use shooting boxes for classifiers or when we need to define shooting locations and don't have enough vision barriers to do it at our local matches.

We mostly use marks for toes/heels on fault lines, marks on walls for hands, hands on door handle or grasping port or barricade as start positions. We use shooting boxes for classifiers or when we need to define shooting locations and don't have enough vision barriers to do it at our local matches.

This seems to be the trend now. When I was a kid, it seemed all the shooting was done from boxes. Sure glad that day is gone.

I know that it's traditional to use starting boxes, but isn't easier to start with heels on mark or some such method that doesn't require a specialized single purpose piece of equipment like a shooting box?

For classifiers absolutely. For other stages, it depends on the design -- having some is useful. That said, locally there seems to be a transition to more "hands or heels on XX" type starts.....

I've seen some stage designers really abuse shooting boxes. They setup a course of fire that ends up requires more than 8 shots from one position. When it is pointed out to them, they throw a shooting box on the other side of the bay and say "Now they have the option of taking some of those shots from that box." I guess it meets the letter of the rules, but no one would ever use that box during the stage, so what have they really accomplished.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to get away with boxes except for classifiers and speed shoots. Put down the fault lines and allow the shooter to start anywhere....considering all shots are within the fault lines. Now that's freestyle!

I'm trying to get away with boxes except for classifiers and speed shoots. Put down the fault lines and allow the shooter to start anywhere....considering all shots are within the fault lines. Now that's freestyle!

I'm starting to look at something very similar for some stages.