Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow vs CZ 75 B for production

fellas

I shoot a 75b, but only because I prefer to shoot 40 (i get once-fired brass for free). by the time you fix it up with trigger work and sights it costs as much as a shadow anyway, so if you want to shoot 9mm, I would just get a shadow (sp01 or 75) and call it good. then go shoot alot.

Definitely go with one of the Shadows and you will be very happy you did.

1. CZ75 SP-01 Shadow - No firing pin block, 3 mags, better grips, competition rear sight with FO front and better trigger.
  2. CZ75 Shadow (if you prefer the short dust cover), 2 mags, better grips, competition rear sight with FO front, even better trigger, extended firing pin and SS guide rod.

If you can afford it go with either the SP-01 Shadow Custom or the Shadow Custom models from CZ Custom. The upgrades are worth the extra expense. The only issue is that although they are both legal for USPSA Production, I don’t think they are legal for IPSC Production.

Get a 75B, tear it down, polish it up, replace the sights and grips and save $300 or so. You'll have a trigger that's about 10% worse in the end, but I'm not sure anyone is good enough to tell the difference while actually shooting a stage.

Get a 75B, tear it down, polish it up, replace the sights and grips and save $300 or so. You'll have a trigger that's about 10% worse in the end, but I'm not sure anyone is good enough to tell the difference while actually shooting a stage.

unless you recut the hammer to reduce the camming, the difference is more than 10% imho.

also, note that the 75 shadow has lighter springs and an extended firing pin. That makes a pretty dramatic difference in the double-action pull especially.

Oh, and the adjustable over-travel on the trigger...... $50 or so to do it yourself.

unless you recut the hammer to reduce the camming, the difference is more than 10% imho.

also, note that the 75 shadow has lighter springs and an extended firing pin. That makes a pretty dramatic difference in the double-action pull especially.

Oh, and the adjustable over-travel on the trigger...... $50 or so to do it yourself.

Ok. Let's say it's more than 10%. I think you are deluding yourself if you think it would ever mean, under any circumstance, the difference between making a shot and not making a shot in a match.

Lighter springs and a superior extended firing pin can easily be had from CGW for what, $35 or so?

I have an SP-01 Tactical on my desk in front of me. It has the dreaded firing pin block, and if that's not all, even a decocker! I did nothing to it besides cleaning it and replacing the springs with an 11lb recoil and a 13lb main. The SA trigger is a little creepy and probably weighs 3lbs. Anyone who doesn't have good trigger control with a trigger like this does not have good trigger control period.

I've got both, no need to make a choice. If I decide to leave the open gun at home I am 5 times more likley to pick the Shadow (yes its a Custom shop) but it isn't the trigger! It is just easier for me to control.

Now the easy part if you are a carpenter, diesel mechanic or similar and your got wrist muscles from hell well save the money get the 75B, but if the hardest thing you do every day is push your mouse around go with the Shadow.

I ran an 8.5# hammer spring for 2000+ rounds with no problems, then one cold day I pulled the trigger and nothing, so I rack it, then pull bang, as the match went on I was doing a lot of racking, then I pulled the trigger nothing, so I held the trigger down about 3 seconds later boom. Ok the spring and the cold didn't like each other, so I swapped it out with a 15# and the guns back to working perfect.

Ok. Let's say it's more than 10%. I think you are deluding yourself if you think it would ever mean, under any circumstance, the difference between making a shot and not making a shot in a match.

I've shot a fair amount with the stock trigger and gradually upgraded things. I can definitely make the shots with the stock trigger, but I can make them significantly faster with recut hammer hooks that reduce the camming.

If you already have a 75b, it makes sense to upgrade it. If you're looking to buy a gun to start competing with (and you want 9mm) it seems silly to not just go with a shadow.

It doesn't seem like an apples to apples comparison, a $500 pistol vs a $900 one? In my opinion you should decide frame you want, tactical rail or no (heavy or light), then figure out how much you want factory upgraded and how much you want to do yourself. After all, you can get the heavy frame or the light frame in whatever trim level you prefer.

I have shot, side by side, the stock 75B and a stock SP01 and I vote hands down for the SP01 frame; the difference in felt recoil and muzzle flip is remarkable.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Stock 75b with CGW hammer, springs, and sights is the most bang for the buck and will not hold you back.

I've had the CGW treatment done to my 75B and it completely cleans up the trigger and you can do it yourself. In fact if you go the CGW route you can get save yourself a little bit of $ with his SRS and sights too. It's an option you could look into.

• 2 weeks later...

Shadow is the best CZ gun for IPSC Production.

One can use it for IDPA as well as long as it makes weight.

It's not about "I think it's legal....", just check the rules and lists for Prod Div and SSP/ESP.