Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will IDPA have a new Division?

GlockCanMan

Read this, is it true? Well, I got it off the Internet...

Actually NRA sanctioned clubs holding sporting events can allow 10 rounds in the `10 round magazines. 7 rounds is the maximum you can load for a gun in your home or in public (not at a gun range)

Even if you can use your preban 10 rounders in sanctioned matches, you can't get 10 round magazines with your new guns any more. And there does not appear to be any provision to bring in a 10 round magazine with you from out of state if you wanted to compete in a match in NYS.

Edited by johnmac

I shot S&W Indoor 6-8 yrs ago with my daughter. Mass had/has a High-Cap restriction. Was told "don't bring hi-caps as they are illegal" and thus only brought 10 rd mags.......so with North East Logic applied.......IDPA or what-ever.....don't bring a 10 rd mag (new high cap) to New York. My question is how long is it going to take before court papers are filed. My guess is less than 2 weeks after the ink dried and something will be started in the court. JMO

If you are a IDPA shooter and the new NY laws state you can't load more than 7 rounds into a magazine, then your SSP/ESP gun is now shooting on equal footing with the CDP guys... but you get less recoil. It's not a 'death knell' for IDPA, although the USPSA guys are gonna scream! :goof:

No manufacturer is going to create 7 round mags just for NY. Another part of the law is that you can possess 10 round mags, they just need to be restricted so that they will not hold more than 7 rounds. They pushed the law through so quick that they did not realize that it effected LE also. Until they amend it LE is restricted to 7 rounds also.

A possible thought here is that guns sold in the future will have standard magazines sold with them that are internally restricted to 7 rounds.

Edited by Poppa Bear

I'm agree with Pappa bear. I don't foresee production of any special NY Complaint 7rd mags. There are already 7rd 1911 magazines. I doubt IDPA or USPSA will make a special division either, as it will only effect a very limited amount of shooters within the sport. NY is such a small state that competitors may drive to adjacent states to compete, or change to a revolver division.

Something tells me the law won't last.

I'm still opening for a Carry Optics division :D

I'd say this ban that NY has will be over turned. They didn't wait the 3 days before a vote was took and that does have legal standing. They threw out the charter for a good size city here because of the "sunshine" clause and they voted on it behind closed doors.

Wilson already has sent out an email that contains conversion kits to convert single stack magazines to 7 rounds.

Wilson has been selling those kits for at least a decade. The e-mail is new the kit, consisting of a spring and follower, isn't.

our club is shooting our first uspsa match tomorrow in ny. as we understand it we can use 10 rds in gun no barney loads. we also might be looking into to start up a idpa group. i never shot a idpa mtach been a uspsa shooter for 15yrs. revolver, limited 10, limited divisons. i also think the will get turned back over to 10rds. as everyone here is in a panick. will post later after match if anyone is interested on how our uspsa match went. i know its not the same but the mag related issue is the same

Allow me to jump in here as a New Yorker and IDPA competitor.

If you possess 10 round only magazines, and you're competing at a gun club that is sanctioned by the NRA or IHMSA you can load your 10 round magazine to its full capacity. You can no longer use magazines that hold greater than 10 rounds for any purpose and you have 1 year to sell them out of state or turn them in to the state.

Perole from outside the state can come shoot here with their 10 rounders, they just have to take 'em back home with them. This 10 round magazine thing is completely unenforcable as they are not date stamped so who can tell which ones are pre 2013 and which ones are post 2013.

The 7 round rule comes into play for concealed carry, home defense, or hunting purposes. A large number of Law Enforcement agencies have stated publically that they won't enforce the 7 round law anyway but for competitive purposes IDPA as well as USPSA Limited 10, Production, and Single Stack Divisions will not be adversely effected. USPSA Open Division, Limited Division and 3-Gun competition will obviously suffer the most although I have heard from several clubs that 3-Gun matches will continue with the utilization of 10 round AR15 magazines verses the 30 rounders we would normally use.

The section in the new law is section 7-F.

As far as legal action is concerned, the NRA has joined forces with the NYS Rifle and Pistol Assn. and two constitutional lawyers are working on the brief to submit to the Courts to challenge this nonsense law. I feel confident that we can roll back the majority of the rulings.

New pistols are not being shipped into the State due to the magazine capacity issue. We can get revolvers, pistols with less than 7 +1 capacity including Single Stacks in 45acp.

All is not lost here and we will return to normal hopefull soon. Pay close attention to what happens here because if you live in the Northeast, or California....it's heading your way too !

Hope this helps....

Edited by Chuck D

I love ALL freedom loving NY'ers...especially those downstate or from the island.

We all need to band together, support one another, and no matter what they do keep shooting !

If your on Facebook...find me and send me a friend request. Lets network !

Chuck

Edited by Chuck D

Keep the faith Chuck. Grew up in the southern tier - Cattaraugus - and got my permit when I was 18. Most of the family is gone but still have friends there. Living in Illinois after retiring from the military. This state is so much like NY - predominately rural, small towns but dictated to and sucked dry by a sewer at one end of it. I'm just waiting for the north of I-80 crowd in the Illinois legislature to try the same thing.

Jerry

chuck d im not on facebook . you can pm if want im in fulton shoot at pathfinder if that helps. i know this an idpa thread, but we did have our first uspsa match of the year today. we shot production 10, limited 10, someone even shot open 10, and single stack, revolver . at least we can still shoot we had 32 shooters in am session and 12 in afternoon. ny still lives on. now back to thread content, im reading alot about idpa and considering giving it a try. as it as close to real life practice for self defense. its been a tough week for us.so thanks for letting my voice be heard

chuck d. shooting in cortland on sunday. were getting buried with snow over here by the lake. this law was passed so quick with no common sense. even the police couldnt carry more then 7 rds and couldnt go into schools until they ammended it the second day. there was no rational thinking on it. it was just someones idea to have a legacy for himself i hope we fight this and win it