Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking at 1911's

mike's m&p

Looking at 1911's as of now live in a very restricted state. Thinking of the springfield ro for competition in single stack. Im a revolver shooter and was limited, and limited 10 not anymore. Price range I need under a $1000 as have to do another whole setup. Any thoughts or comments on this one or others comparable thanks.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I said the Trojan earlier, but if you're on a strict $1,000 budget, I would get a Spartan instead, IF you need the SS gear as well.

I run an STI Spartan 9mm with CR Speed belt/pouches, Blade-Tech SRB/DOH (DOH removed), Dawson ICE no-gap magwell and Dawson magazines. This setup is just freaking awesome. I love the Dawson mags and magwell and would highly recommend it. You should be able to get the complete setup for under $1,000.

Edited by polizei1

decisions decisions what to do. looked at spartan trojan and springfield ro. most likley will have to sell ar to fund this as i now live in the most non friendly state. leaning towards springfield but that trojan is nice ready to go

I just went through the same choices in just the last couple of weeks. I have an STI USPSA,Sentry,and Trojan. I also purchased a Range Officer. I have to say the gun I like best is the Range Officer,it doesn't have all the options the others have, but you can pick up the Range Officer for $750 to $850.

+1 Trojan, can get at dawson's for about $1000.

I had the unhappy learning experience of the difference between a semi custom (fitted) gun like a STI and an off the rack production gun where they fit the parts together with a hammer.

BTW, I've got a Para 1640 LTD for sale at discount price........

Anyway, as for the mass made guns like Para, SA, Colt, et al: if you happen to get a good one, you get a very good value. If you get one of the many dogs, you get a gun that will spend most of it's time going back to the factory.

Edited by bountyhunter

I have a range officer that has about 1k round through it. The trigger is nice, the slide to frame fit is very good and it has enough stuff on it so it is comfortable to shoot out of the box.

You can tell if an SA is assembled in the USA by the serial number starting with an NM. From experiance they are nicer than the ones that don't start with NM. I don't know if all the RO's are NM serial numbers but the one I have is.

I have owned a few Trojans and a few Springfields. As long as the Springfield was an NM they seem to be put together as well as the Trojans. The price of the RO seems to fall between the Spartan and the Trojan. If I wanted another .45 1911 I would buy an RO over the Trojan after owning both.

Even tho people poo-poo the Tuarus PT-1911 here.................. There still a great gun to get started with and if the "insides" do take a crap on you.... you can replace them with EGW parts and REALLY have a great gun............ :cheers:

and for the people that say "only buy from the places that support the sport".............. I saw a couple of shows on TV the last couple of days that had a female shooter that was shooting for Tuarus team.... So THERE.... :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof:

Yea, that's probably Jessie Duff. I guarantee she's not shooting a stock PT1911. There have been many times that it's been shown that some of those top-end guns are STI guns with the sponsored's name etched in the slide.

Not sure if that's the case with her's, but that's what I'd guess.

Even tho people poo-poo the Tuarus PT-1911 here.................. There still a great gun to get started with and if the "insides" do take a crap on you.... you can replace them with EGW parts and REALLY have a great gun............ :cheers:

and for the people that say "only buy from the places that support the sport".............. I saw a couple of shows on TV the last couple of days that had a female shooter that was shooting for Tuarus team.... So THERE.... :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof:

I ran a PT 1911 for a couple years is IDPA CDP. It ran very well. Its not a perfect gun, nothing is at that price point. Today there are a lot of guns at that price point to pick from. Its a good time to be getting into SSTK.

Yea, that's probably Jessie Duff. I guarantee she's not shooting a stock PT1911. There have been many times that it's been shown that some of those top-end guns are STI guns with the sponsored's name etched in the slide.

Not sure if that's the case with her's, but that's what I'd guess.

Facts or speculations?

Hard to beat an STI Trojan for the money. Series 70 no internal firing pin lock. Quality parts that may need just a little tuning but not replacement. Comes with a good adjustable sight. You can at other parts later as mag wells, extended magazine release, grips etc.

Have one in 9mm and it's one of my favorite pistols.

Have several Kimber five inch pistols in 45acp also and sometimes a deal can be found on a used one.

Facts or speculations?

Speculation, of course. Here are some articles/threads. Nothing is 100%, but like I said, I would bet it's probably an STI, if not, at least a "custom" PT1911. I have a very hard time believing ANY top-level competitor uses a "stock," "off-the-shelf" gun. Even the M&P, Glock, etc. shooters.

http://gunnuts.net/2012/03/07/taurus-signs-jessie-harrison-duff-to-new-shooting-team/

http://flaguns.com/showthread.php?16685-Taurus-Getting-Into-Competition-With-Jessie-Duff

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=147621