Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to increase trigger pull weight

Marv Z

I have a Springfield TRP with a aftermarket trigger job. I don't have a pull gauge, but it was set up to be around 2 lbs. All my other guns are around 3.5. I keep having trouble when I prep the trigger and break the shot too early. Once I shoot it for awhile I adapt and it runs great. I'd like to increase the pull weight slightly to get close to my other comp guns. Can I just tweak the mainspring slightly to increase the pull? It has a complete aftermarket trigger group as he couldn't get it low enough with the stock components. It also still has the stock ILS housing. Any help would be appreciated. I know I could send it back, but the shipping costs for pistols are nuts.

I have a Springfield TRP with a aftermarket trigger job. I don't have a pull gauge, but it was set up to be around 2 lbs. All my other guns are around 3.5. I keep having trouble when I prep the trigger and break the shot too early. Once I shoot it for awhile I adapt and it runs great. I'd like to increase the pull weight slightly to get close to my other comp guns. Can I just tweak the mainspring slightly to increase the pull? It has a complete aftermarket trigger group as he couldn't get it low enough with the stock components. It also still has the stock ILS housing. Any help would be appreciated. I know I could send it back, but the shipping costs for pistols are nuts.

Yes, bend left leg of spring slightly forward.

This would be the sear spring that is located behind the main spring housing.Left leg for sear=total trigger pull weight, Middle leg=take up pull weight, Right leg for grip safety.

Check out this attachment from Jack Weigand on setting up a 1911 Trigger.

It's more involved, and you won't need to worry much about the stoning.

But adjusting the sear spring is a bit more involved than just bending one leaf.

It's not hard, good luck.