Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Pulled Over

No sir, we don't have a ticket quota, I can write as many tickets as I want to. And no, i refuse to eat donuts. I do not drink coffee ( I get my caffeine fix from Diet Mountain Dew). In 30 years of law enforcement I have heard almost all of the wise cracks about donut eating cops.What most folks do not seem to realize, we don't make the laws, we enforce them all, not just the ones we agree with. Are some of our laws stupid? Absoloutely. On some, such as traffic offenses, we have some discretion on whether to cite or not. ATtitude can have a lot to do with that decision. Some like not using seatbelts, passing stopped school busses and speeding in school zone do not get very much slack. As for 3 mph over the speed limit, here is a small example: a 10 mph hour school zone, 3 mph over equals a car travelling at 30% over the posted speed.

I spent over 40 years in LE. I always chose quality over quanity in writing traffic tickets

and never wrote one for speeding that wasn't at least 10 over. But, I had a handful of people

talk themselves into tickets. What you got to realize is some cops would write their Mother

a ticket. After all cops are people and people in general are all different. But, couldn't

hurt to carry a box of donuts with you:).

I never booked anyone for a moving violation that was able to tell me why I pulled them over...Never! Having said that I probably cited over 85% because most folks would tell me that they had no idea why I stopped them. Attitude is everything!

The quota thing is a joke...most of the guys that used to work for me averaged less that 20 traffic citations a month and that included the accidents they investigated!

I'm not feeling much compassion for the poor OP. :goof:

Don't worry, I don't feel much compassion for myself. Karma is kind of a bi**h. There have been lots of things I should have gotten pulled over for. This is just probably one of the stupidest ones I could have imagined. Kinda like getting a speeding ticket for going 3 mph over, some discression is required.

I know how you feel about the 3 mph thing. Kinda burns, huh... Just last week I got the exact same kind of ticket from a Louisiana Trooper.

84 in a 60..... :ph34r: