Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cast or forged?

twister

I'm in the market for a new 1911,and would like to know which model is best for me? You always hear forged is best, but at what point do you notice the difference? If you are shooting the gun occasionally,at what point in the round count does the cost start making a difference? Thanks for your help on this matter,Dave.

I have both, and I can't tell the differences between them.

There are more than a few full-house customs that are built from cast frames. If these top smiths don't see any issues using these cast frames, then it shouldn't matter to you.

Forged will last longer and hold up to much more abuse. But in terms of accuracy, cast is just as good. I've built 1911s on cast Caspian frames that shot .682" at 25 yards with common reloads (200g LSWC w/Bullseye). But I've also seen a good number of cast frames crack, particularly after a lot of rounds with major power factor loads. And if the barrel is not fit properly, it's only a matter of time.

• 2 weeks later...
Forged will last longer and hold up to much more abuse. But in terms of accuracy, cast is just as good. I've built 1911s on cast Caspian frames that shot .682" at 25 yards with common reloads (200g LSWC w/Bullseye). But I've also seen a good number of cast frames crack, particularly after a lot of rounds with major power factor loads. And if the barrel is not fit properly, it's only a matter of time.

I have seen a lot of para's cracked

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The 1911 Forum had an extensive discussion on steels by steel industry experts.

The bottom line is good cast is better than poor forged. It is the steel used in the gun that is important.

I believe Gary from Caspian once wrote on this topic. I believe he said his cast frames did not experience cracks to any greater degree than bar stock. They do use bar stock steel in their slides because of the different types of stresses.

Many a STI Trojan has cast frames and this forum has many a member sing their virtue.

I have a very nice Wilson frame that is bar stock!