Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square Deal or 650?

I have my heart set on a 650 but I keep falling back to looking at a square deal. I will be loading only 45 acp to start with but will most likely start loading a few 9mm down the road(if my son saves his 9mm brass that is). I want a press with the auto index feature so that rules out the 550. I am new to loading brass but have been loading shotgun shells for 4 years. I currently load around 15k shotshells per year on a MEC progressive with automate. I know the 650 is probably overkill but I like the features and I would rather spend my time shooting than reloading although reloading is a necessity to shooting. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my reloading time but I had rather load a 1000 or so rounds in a couple of hours once a month than I had load 250 a week. I currently sit at the press once a month and load around a 1000 shotshells and then I shoot them up and repeat. I have three 45's that I have been shooting the last couple of months. Don't know if I will ever shoot anything other than 45 since I only shoot 12 ga in shotshells. I like the 45 and I love the way my 1911 shoots, the same as I like a 12 ga and I love the way my Browning 625 shoots. Like I stated, I want a 650 but keep wondering if a square deal will do what I need but the square deal is not as versital as the 650. I have watched and read umpteen posts and videos on reloading and my brain is scrambled as to what I should do or anticipate for down the road. I am so confused!!!! I do know the press will be a Dillon. LOL

What's your opinion or what would you do? The 650 or Square Deal.

True but the casefeeder is what makes the 650 a great machine.

I am not saying to do away with the case feeder. I am just saying if you leave off the case feeder cost, the 650 is a better buy for a little more money. The case feeder is what jumps the price substantially.

True but the casefeeder is what makes the 650 a great machine.

I am not saying to do away with the case feeder. I am just saying if you leave off the case feeder cost, the 650 is a better buy for a little more money. The case feeder is what jumps the price substantially.

The 650 with the case feeder is worth the money. Cry once and you won't need to upgrade later.

Edited by toothguy

With the SDB you are stuck with Dillon dies that do not fit any other machine. With all the other Dillon machines you can use any standard thread reloading die from any brand. This is a big deal if you want to enhance your sizing, seating, crimp, etc..

And FWIW the 650 should not even be made available without the case feeder. It really does make the machine what it is.

if you take away the case feeder cost, the 650 is more robust and versital for only $150 or so more.

Not sure the 650 is "only $150 more" - I believe it's a LOT more than the SqD.

And, Robust doesn't count, with Dillon's return & repair policy- if it breaks,

Dillon fixes it for FREE :bow:

If you have the money, rather not spend more time reloading, and are somewhat

mechanically inclined - go with the 650 - especially with the case & bullet feeder,

it is an awesome machine.

But, if you don't want to spend the money, don't mind spending a little more time

reloading, and don't want to go for big bucks for the case/bullet feeder - the SqD

is a Great little reloader.

:cheers:

I started reloading again wanting a 650 but a 550 seemed good enough. Then i couldn't live without a 650 so now i have a 550 next to my 650. Today i would say an entry level press is 650 you will have room to grow.

Tom

I've owned both an SDB and a 650. They are both great presses. You can crank out lots of ammo on an SDB. You can crank out more on a 650.

As Brian says (emphatically), do NOT even think about buying a 650 without the case feeder.

You won't loose if you go SDB and upgrade later. Every person I shoot with is always looking for another SDB to dedicate to some aspect of their shooting.

The 650 takes up a lot of space and will end up costing you $1000 by the time the dust settles.

The strong mount and bullet tray really enhance the SDB and make 400-500 rounds per hour possible.

Now, having said all that, I would have been ahead if I had gotten a 650 in the first place. My progress as a shooter would have come more quickly with the extra ammo the 650 provides.

If you are involved in a competitive shooting sport, by all means get the 650. If you think you might get involved in a competitive shooting sport, get the 650.

If you can afford the 650 you should get it, if later you decide you don't like it, sell it and get a SD. You'll have money left over going that way.

Ability to have case feed along with bullet feed, seat and crimp in two stations with a powder check die, the only other press that can do that is the 1050.

Have used both and I'd go for the 650, leave the casefeeder off for awhile and then get it.  Remember, there isn't one for the SDB.

I built A case feeder for one of my SD's but it's still no 650.

Click photo for video. Rube Goldburg but was just a prof of concept.

th_MOV02172.jpg

Edited by jmorris

Thanks for the replies everybody.

I know I should buy the 650. I won't be happy with anything less and I know it. Trying to rationalize the money I guess.

I have the money, I just don't want to drop over a grand at one time. It bothers me. I am just weird I guess. $1000 is a lot of money and its 4 digits. $600 is only three digits and spending $600 doesn't bother me as much so I may have to buy the 650 and just do it in two different orders. One now and then the other a few weeks from now. This way my mind can rationalize it a little more comfortably. LOL

, I just don't want to drop over a grand at one time.  It bothers me. I am just weird I guess.  $1000 is a lot of money and its 4 digits

Better to think of $1000 like a set of tires and remember once you use them for a while you have to pay someone to take them from you.

Too bad you can't run your car around on a set of Dillons for 20 years and then sell them for more than you paid in the first place...

I started on a single stage, got into a SDB for a few years, then finally got the 650. In the process of learning to reload, I think this was just a fine progression, and it progressed with my interest and available cash. That being said, if you're already reloading shot shells on a progressive, and you can afford it, just buy the 650. I've got my SDB just sitting in a corner not doing anything, "just in case I need it" - but I haven't needed it since I got the 650 :)

~Mitch

I use to have the red and green machines,but drank the blue Koolaid about 9 years ago and now have 2 650's..I got my son 2 SDB's

9/45 to start him on rather then the red or green machines,and he's been loading now for about 4 years now and still loves his SDB's..

I have somewhere around 70k loaded on 1 650 and only about 4k on the other. If you plan on loading more then 3 calibers,then the 650 would be better..