Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 inconsistent powder drop

Hi,

I have a 1 year old 650 which started to drop powder very inconsistently. I am using 3,6 Gr VV N320 with small powder bar and I didn't have troubles since recently. The first 8000 rounds I've loaded were very accurate and I didn't notice any soft loads. I've took everything apart and cleaned even polished powder bar and it didn't help that much. Sometimes happens that the powder charge is so small that gun doesn't cycle.

What could be the reason for sudden change?

You didn't say you were weighing charges and, by doing so, determined your powder drops were irregular. You do say that you're noticing "soft loads".

The likely reason for your experience is the change in weather. Loads that are light to begin with can start to have varied combustion in the Winter. Your powder may be "temperature sensitive".

To overcome this seasonal disorder, you can increase the amount of your powder charges in Winter, or change to a powder that is known to be insensitive to temperature.

Variation in intensity during a match can be a real distraction -- sometimes requiring stopping during a stage. I gave up on some powders that I liked for other reasons because they proved to be temperature sensitive in Winter. Lots of guys will discourage people from using Titegroup in pistol loads, but I've found it to be the most consistent powder with respect to position and temperature sensitivity.

My loads are 132 PF. And last time I had troubles was at indoor shooting range. I am shooting with VV N320 for several years now and never had such a troubles. Last time I've chroned my reloads all were about 900 FPS except one which was 700 fps. That difference can't come from cold weather especialy not for just one reload and others were fine.

N320 has only very slight temperature sensitivity, as reported on this website. Some folks have posted data and the most I've noted was a power factor value change of 2 - that ain't much! Many people claim N320 is not temperature sensitive at all in their tests, suggesting minimal sensitivity.

I assume that the OP is "NOT" using a powder checker. I would recommend that He buys one for his 650. It will let you know long b4 a round gets into a magazine that its under powered. Squibs are ugly and cause Kabooms.

• 2 weeks later...

Be sure the blue plastic nut on the bottom of the failsafe's rod is adjusted so that with an empty Shellplate, and the handle pushed all the way forward (as if seating a primer) the spring (above the nut) is at least halfway compressed.

be

Strip the powder measure and wash all components in warm soapy water,rinse and dry. This will get rid of any residue and static electricity that causes powder grains to stick as your picture shows. Spider webs are also bad news; hard to see but cause havoc when in your drop tube.

My 2c

• 8 months later...

I'm reviving this old thread because I am having the same problem. Out of about 400 rounds fired today, I had 2 light loads (one of which caused a stovepipe). This is obviously a very intermittent problem. What's bugging me is that I have a Powder Check die installed, and yet I got no alarms while making this batch. I'll try BE's recommendation to increase tension of the return rod, but I'm wondering if the problem resides elsewhere.,, perhaps the primers (I'm running Fiocchi small pistol primers)?

Load info: 9mm minor, mixed brass, Precision Delta 124gr FMJ, 4.8gr of WSF, Fiocchi SPP.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I have found my Dillon powder check pretty much only shows no powder or a double charge. If somehow you're only a grain or so over/under most likely it won't alarm. My main worry is a double charge or no powder so it does what I need.

• 3 weeks later...