Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Golf Clubs----Serious question

OK, I am looking for serious answers here.

I dabbled in Golf almost 30 years ago. It was a way to spend time with my Mother and Father in a common interest atmosphere. We had fun. As they got older, they stopped and so did I.

My Father assembled the clubs I used before and I still have them. They have been stored and would probably be fine but I do not know what to look for. I assume the grips will need to be replaced. Is that a difficult job that I can do myself? Do the shafts go bad?

Since my guns are being sold off, I am hoping Golf will help keep me out of the house. Lots of places to play here. I have no illusion of being anything but a hobby golfer. I just need to adjust to change B)

Anybody want to swap Brass for Golf Balls? :surprise:

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Depending on how old the clubs are and your handicap at the time you put them up, you might want to consider replacing them altogether. Club design and manufacturing has made leaps and bounds within the last 20 years and nowadays the technology really helps, rather than hinders performance.

If you're a high handicap golfer, I would look for some max game improvement irons on Craigslist. Do some research and you'll find that most of the big name manufacturers build several good options. Drivers are sooo easy to hit now and the stiffness of the shaft in your driver will be dictated by your swing speed (soft flex for slower swings, stiff for fast). Driver loft is also important.

If you decide you want to keep your old clubs, they will definitely need to be re-gripped if they've been put up for longer than a year. Rubber grips dry out rather quickly and become hard and slick. Besides, grip compounds and technology have improved quite a bit in the last few years as well. You can save some dough re-gripping on your own, it's not too difficult and there's YouTube videos on how to do it. You'll need to buy some tape, solvent and grips. If you don't plan on gripping clubs often you might just take them in. BUT, if you're thinking about spending $90 to re-grip old clubs, you are way better off getting a newer set.

Finally, don't hit cheap balls. They suck. I hit Titleist Pro V1's only because I like the feel the way they perform around the greens. You can find them used or refurbished at a really good price at Walmart, Marshals, Craigslist or yard sales. You cannot reload golf balls.

I think golf is a lot like shooting, only slower. We're looking for precision out of a small projectile, have a target, and it takes years and practice to be proficient. Welcome back!!!

Edited by Lifeislarge

You can regrip your self, but around here, the labor to have someone do it is $1-$2 a club. Well worth having somone else do it. I've done it myself, and probably wont again.

Depending on what you have, I'd second the comment about looking at a newer set. I used to have the illusion that I was a good golfer. I played with standard size irons, almost nearly a blade style. Eventually broke down and bought some Callaway X-20's, oversize, cavity back etc.. watched my scores improve dramatically from the old irons. I got them at Callawaypreowned.com. They were supposedly lightly used, very good condition. They were brand new. For $200 less than I could find them anywhere else.

If you don't want new clubs, and have trouble hitting long irons, give a look to some hybrids. A 3 and 4 Hybrid can also take some strokes off your game as well.

I too, like ProV's. WAY too expensive to buy new though. Reconditioned or buying bulk overruns or close outs from Ebay are much cheaper. I'm not sure how much benefit they provide someone unless you can break 100 regularly. A cheaper mid-grade ball and more practice would be more beneficial at that point.

Brass for Golfballs ? Whatcha got? :devil:

I too, like ProV's. WAY too expensive to buy new though. Reconditioned or buying bulk overruns or close outs from Ebay are much cheaper. I'm not sure how much benefit they provide someone unless you can break 100 regularly. A cheaper mid-grade ball and more practice would be more beneficial at that point.

If you have a SteinMart in your area, check their mens section. The one by me has ProV1 refurbs all the time. Can't recall the price, but I know they are well worth it.

Great info so far. I think I am leaning toward re-gripping the clubs and seeing how it works out before I invest in a new set. With the help of a Pro, I will figure out what I need,

As for handicap, it was always both Irons and woods with a huge handicap as soon as I got near a green.

I need to dig out the clubs and see what is there. Any more info greatly appreciated.

Those asking about brass, I have uncleaned once fired 40 and 357SIG right now. I had planned on cleaning and selling but don't want to mix it with my Glocked brass as this is all from a Sig range.

• 2 weeks later...