Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 versus 9mm accuracy in 1911 pistols

Sutemi

Greetings all. I'm considering acquiring a 1911 style pistol for carry and competition because I believe the platform has more potential for accuracy than the plastic framed pistols I've been carrying and competing with (currently the S&W M&P). I'm only considering single stack pistols at this time. I have two related questions:

1) Which 1911 pistol is a good value for carry and competition out of the box today? When I last shopped, perhaps 10 years ago, Kimber had pulled ahead of Springfield Armory in market esteem. I'm sure a lot has changed since then.

2) I've heard anecdotal evidence that the .45 ACP is inherently more accurate, or has more accuracy potential than the 9mm. Is this based in truth?

Thank you all for your consideration.

I don't think there's any practical difference in the accuracy capability between 9mm and .45 ACP.

We all know that .45 ACP has high intrinsic accuracy potential in the 1911 platform. But then again, Les Baer can make 1911s in 9mm that are proven and guaranteed to shoot 1.5" at 50 yards. You can't really ask for much more than that.

Edited by Carmoney

Kimber, Springfield, Colt, S&W, LB, etc all make good pistols and each has a dozen different models avalable depending on what you want. Have you figured out what features you want in a pistol (3,4, or 5" barrel, finish, features,etc)? What kind of comp are you looking to do (IDPA, Steel, etc) as that might make a difference on what type of sights you get as well as the features. I'd definitely start with features and then match the pistol to your preferences and your budget.

Agree with the above post. Both cartridges are more accurate than most can shoot them.

No difference in accuracy by caliber, but you will probably shoot the 9 more accurately because of less recoil.

As for the best 1911, you will like an STI Trojan in 9mm. Check them out at Dawson Precision. It's a shade more money than generic mass made guns but much better built.

For the one's I have saw that gun at $1200 from Dawson is a pretty good price given that it's the top end STI and most mid level could be crap other 1911s start at that price. I'd say if you get a 9mm get a new Trojan if you want a 45 get a lightly used gun that you can shoot and see run so you know there is any problems with it.

2) I've heard anecdotal evidence that the .45 ACP is inherently more accurate, or has more accuracy potential than the 9mm. Is this based in truth?

Mechanical accuracy is an outcome of the match of a well fitted gun to well (or consistently) made ammunition.

But, the 45 is .095 inches larger than the 9mm so it has more scoring area. ;)

Maybe more scoring potential? I'm sure a mathematician and a physicist could find a truthful answer, but in all practicality the accuracy potential is the same if the components used all have the same quality and are built with the same consistency.

Now, practical shooting accuracy is more dependent on the shooter, than the gun.

Tis' the Indian, not the arrow. (As long as the arrows are not made in China)

Edited by matgyver

Figure out what you are going to use the gun for, then buy the caliber accordingly.

I wouldn't want a 9mm if I was going to shoot USPSA single stack, and I wouldn't want a 45acp if I was planning to shoot ESP.

Mike.

If mags were more plentiful, a 1911 in 10mm/40 would be "the" best of both worlds there with light loads for ESP.

Figure out what you are going to use the gun for, then buy the caliber accordingly.

I wouldn't want a 9mm if I was going to shoot USPSA single stack, and I wouldn't want a 45acp if I was planning to shoot ESP.

Mike.

If mags were more plentiful, a 1911 in 10mm/40 would be "the" best of both worlds there with light loads for ESP.

Chip McCormick, Wilson,and Tripp all make 10mm mags, that I use in my .40 Trojans.

No difference in accuracy by caliber, but you will probably shoot the 9 more accurately because of less recoil.

As for the best 1911, you will like an STI Trojan in 9mm. Check them out at Dawson Precision. It's a shade more money than generic mass made guns but much better built.

For the one's I have saw that gun at $1200 from Dawson

Dawson sells two 5" STI Trojans in 9mm. The standard one runs about $1000, the "comp ready" version with fibre optic sights, mag well, big button etc runs a couple of hundred more. For $1000, I think it's the best value for a semi custom 1911. I have been shooting a 9mm Trojan for about ten years and love it.

http://www.dawsonpre...0000-1095448367

Here's the comp ready:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=8000132B-1326311105

Edited by bountyhunter

And as far as mags in 10mm/40 S&W in 1911 go, you have 45 ACP mags to chose from also. I use Wilson 47d and CMC Power 8 Mags very successfully. Lots of options.

As far as a 9mm in USPSA don't be worried you can't be competitive. You are at no more disadvantage as anyone shooting Production. Buy what your comfortable and shoot shoot shoot

Thank you all very much for your responses, they were all the kind of insight that I was hoping to get. I found the suggestion to get a new 9mm or a lightly used .45 particularly helpful. I hadn't considered the fact that there are probably fifty times the number of .45's on the market than 9mm's and the chances of finding a used 9 are probably much slimmer than finding a used .45.

I'd like a 5" model. I currently shoot and load 9mm for my S&W M&P 9L that I use in USPSA Production and IDPA SSP/ESP, but I woldn't be averse to adding .45ACP. At this time, I'm really not considering .40. If the 1911 really grabs me though, I'd get a .40 Limited gun. I think the 1911 may give me an edge in accuracy, but I'm not really looking to jump ship just yet, only to shoot them side by side and see if I "fall in love" with the 1911.

STI seems to floating to the top as the manufacturer of choice for a new pistol. I have particular tastes in sight picture so I'd almost certainly change out the front sight. I find the price point of the Spartan attractive, but the features of the Trojan are also attractive. I'd really like to keep my intitial investment down because this is just an experiment, though not one I contemplate lightly. Consequently, I'd probably shoot IDPA ESP/CDP to begin with, depending one whether I get a 9 or a 45. I'm very ambivalent on the caliber and it will probably come down to price, especially since the consensus is that there's no practical difference in accuracy.

Thank you all again.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike.

Mags for a 40 are as close as your nearest 45 ACP mag. That is what was recommended to me, supplied with my Predator Tactical and have work flawlessly. Fear not the 40 S&W

JMHO