Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 cal semi-wadcutters?

Cavy

I am wondering why nobody offers a .40 cal semi-wadcutter in a plated or polymer coated bullet. I always liked the clean holes they put in targets. It seems they would be a popular choice for USPSA or IPSC competition. A nice 180gr. SWC would be great. Is there some reason they don't offer these?

SWC vs flat point.

Which of these should feed better in a 2011? I need to buy a decent amount and can't decide. I have some SWC in 9mm and they work good but don't know about 40

Edited by Forgetful

I just loaded up 50rnds of 155gr SWC coated bullet to try in a G22 and plan on trying them tonight. I usually use 180gr JHP but need to cut costs this coming season and figured I'd see how these run. I have concerns about this profile feeding in a glock, only ever ran SWC in revolvers, but the manufacturer says it shouldn't be a problem....we shall see

Bear Creek is suppose to have 185gr SWC ... I'm going to ask my local supplier to pick me up a 1000 just to test them out ... wish they had 200gr swc in 40sw

Bear Creek has a 180 swc right now. no 185 swc at the moment. but that would be interesting to try out

Bear Creek is suppose to have 185gr SWC ... I'm going to ask my local supplier to pick me up a 1000 just to test them out ... wish they had 200gr swc in 40sw

Bear Creek has a 180 swc right now. no 185 swc at the moment. but that would be interesting to try out

Is the Bear Creek lead or coated bullet? Do you have a price per 1000?

The Bear Creek are moly coated and just an fyi the price list you got there is out of date unfortunately and he is toying with raising the price again for 2013.I have prices listed in my dealer forum you can follow the link in my signature for more info

I just loaded up 50rnds of 155gr SWC coated bullet to try in a G22 and plan on trying them tonight. I usually use 180gr JHP but need to cut costs this coming season and figured I'd see how these run. I have concerns about this profile feeding in a glock, only ever ran SWC in revolvers, but the manufacturer says it shouldn't be a problem....we shall see

I've used 155s and 180s in my M&P, and I have to say using the same powders, a 155 Major load felt less pleasant than a 180 Major load.

I've used 155s and 180s in my M&P, and I have to say using the same powders, a 155 Major load felt less pleasant than a 180 Major load.

Me too. major or minor I don't like 155s

Steve, I recieved my 180SWC last night. I am shooting a STI Edge and it looks like loading them to 1.180" - 1.190" col puts the crimp well above the grease groove. I loaded some dummies and they feed great by hand. Will be putting some powder behind some and testing them today. Will keep you posted.

Steve, I recieved my 180SWC last night. I am shooting a STI Edge and it looks like loading them to 1.180" - 1.190" col puts the crimp well above the grease groove. I loaded some dummies and they feed great by hand. Will be putting some powder behind some and testing them today. Will keep you posted.

Glad theyre cycling I might have to try them out myself for prettier holes

I got a chance to try the Bear Creek 180gr SWC today. Shooting my 5"STI Edge.

First they worked flawlessly loaded to 1.180" The crimp being well above the grease groove. I mostly was just trying to work up a load so I started with the same load I have been useing with the 180gr MG JHP. Which is 4.9 VV N320 at 1.200" giving me avg vel. of 936.7 or 168.6 p/f

The BC 180 SWC at 1.180" with 4.9 N320 went an avg 1008 at 181.45 p/f. Wow, these are way faster than MG.

I weighed a few and they are a little heavier than advertised coming in between 182.5 and 186.0gr most at about 183 quite a lot of varience. The MG's weighed 180 +/- .1gr

So if you use a weight of 183 the p/f went to 184.4

Long story short, after reducing the load a couple times I ended up with 4.3gr N320 at 1.180" giving an avg vel of 930.82 or 167.5 p/f.

Again if you use the actual avg weight of 183 the p/f is 170

I didn't get a chance to really test accuracy but I did back up about 20yds and fired a few shots freestyle at a target. They were all right there so I don't expect accuracy issues to be a problem.

I went home and cleaned my gun. After about 100rds it was dirtier than with JHP's but I expected this. There was moly residue and a small amount of leading in the barrel. Not having shot moly bullets before I don't know what is normal. The moly stuff cleaned out easily but the lead is lead and took a little more effort. Is it normal to have some lead fouling?

Overall I like these. They feed well, are easy to load and seem to be accurate. Best of all the price is good.

Noylj:

Looks more like a tapered cone bullet than a traditional Semi-Wadcutter.

Yeah, they aren't as sharp shouldered as the SWC .45's I remember. The holes in the target aren't quite as clean either.

• 2 months later...

SNS Casting 175 SWC Lead are true old fashion H&G style semi wad cutters, they are accurate and consistant and all I use in all my 40's

Single Stack, Para's and STI's they feed well in all and are loaded with about 1mm of the shoulder sticking out above the brass with a taper crimp. 5.0 gr of WST which is a great powder for lead and gets me about 170 power factor.