Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD round counts

KentG

I am curious about the round counts thru some of the XD/XDm pistols. I have a CC tactical that I will guess has 4K+- and my 5.25 9mm has a lot less but Im not sure. Just wondering if this platform is built for the long haul.

I have one client who has shot more than 190,000 rounds out of one of his XD's.

Rich

Did he do anything other than clean it and replace springs? That is an impressive number!

I have 30k+ through my 2005 xd service bi-tone 40 cal. It now wears a barsto 9mm barrel, bomar cut FO dawson sights, awesome trigger job, extended controls, magwell, etc. I haven't even had to change the recoil spring yet.

I do know a couple who compete across the US. They managed to wear out at least one XD. I was told that the frame cracked. I thought I heard that they had something like 75k rounds through it.

I am not really worried about wearing mine out. I also only run light loads through it. My 9mm load is 120 pf.

Xd Tactical 9mm about 3 years old, about 90,000 rounds, still primary competition gun

Cracked slide - replaced by S.A., no charge

Cracked frame - replaced by S.A., no charge

Broken locking lug - barrel replaced by S.A, no charge

Front sight broke off twice - replaced by S.A., no charge

Extractor failed - replaced by S.A., no charge

Trigger checked and set at 6lbs, worn springs replaced - by S.A, no charge

My cost - switched to Warren rear sight, Dawson front sight. Powder River striker retaining pin, and occasional Wolf 16lb spring

XD Tactical 9mm, leass than a year old, 2,000 rounds

No Problems

My cost - Powder River striker retaining pin, Warren rear sight/Dawson front, Wolf 16lb spring

XD 9mm service model, 4 years old, about 20,000 rounds

Broken striker retaining pin - replaced by S.A. no charge

My only cost - switched to Powder River striker retaining pin

All magazines still going strong

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Update: 16 Jan 2014

XD Tactical, Still my primary competition gun, now over 4 1/2 years old, and 100,000 + rounds

16 Jan 2014 - Broken striker. Will call S.A to see if they will send me a striker

I'm still happy with this gun but it's got some miles on it, and not quite as accurate as my newer XD. January 2015 or maybe after the World Shoot, I'll make this gun my backup gun, and go to my newer XD mentioned below that now only has about 4,000 or 5,000 rounds through it. Still using all my original XD magazines , including the mags from my 1st XD purchased around 2008 or 2009.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Xd Tactical 9mm about 3 years old, about 90,000 rounds, still primary competition gun

Cracked slide - replaced by S.A., no charge
Cracked frame - replaced by S.A., no charge
Broken locking lug - barrel replaced by S.A, no charge
Front sight broke off twice - replaced by S.A., no charge
Extractor failed - replaced by S.A., no charge
Trigger checked and set at 6lbs, worn springs replaced - by S.A, no charge
My cost - switched to Warren rear sight, Dawson front sight. Powder River striker retaining pin, and occasional Wolf 16lb spring

XD Tactical 9mm, leass than a year old, 2,000 rounds
No Problems
My cost - Powder River striker retaining pin, Warren rear sight/Dawson front, Wolf 16lb spring

XD 9mm service model, 4 years old, about 20,000 rounds
Broken striker retaining pin - replaced by S.A. no charge
My only cost - switched to Powder River striker retaining pin

All magazines still going strong

Correction, my XD Tactical update should have been dated September 16, 2014, not January 16th.

JohnnyD, I think I went at least that long without breaking the slide down, and that was shooting a lot of lead, which really gunks up the gun. I was breaking the slide down a couple of times a year to clean the striker, striker channel and other stuff.

I got lazy at one point a while back and didn't clean it for almost a year. I ended up having light primer strikes in a match. Of course, the problems always show up in a match. Come to find out the striker, striker channel and rebound spring was so gunked up, the striker was barely moving. Now I clean it about once a month, depending how much lead I shoot. The memories of pulling the trigger in that match and nothing happening are still fresh in my mind.

Traded an XD-9 Sub compact for a XD 9 Tactical in 2009 for USPSA and IDPA. Since then after EXTREME dry firing:

Barrel Log=

2013 - 18,776 - Broken Striker retainer pin (EZ fix)

2014 - 24,572 - replaced all springs (general maintenance) and polished everything up.

Runs like a champ!