Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Undercut trigger on a 2011 grip worth it?

Crydaddy

I was wondering if you have felt that doing this mod is noticeable enough ( recoil, at least that is why I think people are doing it ) to be worth it?

Have you guys done a back to back comparison with an unmolested grip? Please share your thoughts/ experience/results.

Edited by Crydaddy

I held a few guns at the Cameron's Customs booth in the vender tent at Area 2 and the Nationals this year (I just can't stop fondling their guns). To me the double undercut feels the best. The way my hands fit together for the grip I'm used to, a normal uncut frame is ok but I end up lower. A simple undercut frame I end up higher with my strong hand, but I notice pressure from the trigger guard on my weak hand index finger a lot more. Double undercut just fit like a glove. My friend who was with me however, didn't care for it as much. His grip is uncut and that's what he's used to, so I think he prefers that.

I come from shooting glocks and just got a 2011 for limited recently so I'm not sure if that has any bearing but just thought I'd put it out there. This is all a feel for the grip kind of a thing to me. I haven't shot them side by side. I think there are other things that are far more important for keeping the gun flat, like grip, load, gun weight and balance....

I shot Limited 2011s with unmodified grips; when I added the single undercut the gun sat lower in the hand and the recoil control felt a little better. A little less muzzle flip? Ive since added a single undercut to every 2011 that I've acquired.

Wow, lots of helpful answers here. I guess i just need to try it out myself. To add some more confusion, do you prefer stippling or grip skate tape? Im used to grip tape but has never tried stippled grip in a match situation. Any thoughts?

I held a few guns at the Cameron's Customs booth in the vender tent at Area 2 and the Nationals this year (I just can't stop fondling their guns). To me the double undercut feels the best. The way my hands fit together for the grip I'm used to, a normal uncut frame is ok but I end up lower. A simple undercut frame I end up higher with my strong hand, but I notice pressure from the trigger guard on my weak hand index finger a lot more. Double undercut just fit like a glove. My friend who was with me however, didn't care for it as much. His grip is uncut and that's what he's used to, so I think he prefers that.

I come from shooting glocks and just got a 2011 for limited recently so I'm not sure if that has any bearing but just thought I'd put it out there. This is all a feel for the grip kind of a thing to me. I haven't shot them side by side. I think there are other things that are far more important for keeping the gun flat, like grip, load, gun weight and balance....

This is just what i thought. I used to shoot glocks and i have been tilting it more than other handguns. I tried a friends gun with double undercut and it seems i am doing something similar with my glocks. I thought it was just me.

I have shot both. To me there is not a big difference I shoot both about the same. I have tryied stippling and grip tape. I dont like eather. the grip I shot now is a factory grip with a single under cut only. I dont like the gun stuck to my hand, I like to be able to adjust my grip if I need to and grip tape or stippling makes that

harder to do. All I use is progrip lotion.

I agree with Sauza, I like a single undercut and the stock grip texture. When I built my 2011 I shot it for a year or so without the undercut and then did the cut. I found that it fits my hand better with the undercut, but I've never cared much for the double undercut and my support hand feels more comfortable without it and hard up against the trigger guard. I have a second grip that I removed all the checkering from and put Gorilla Grip grip tape on, and my son's gun has a reduced and stippled grip. I've used them both and still prefer the stock grip checkering. It's all subjective though. We are all different and you need to try the options and figure out what's best for you. That's part of what makes this sport so much fun!