Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Historian?!?!?!?

38SuperDub

Flex,

I know and hopefully the new ED takes the website as a priority. I just, as a member, don't see where shelling out money for a historian is the best use of funds when there are other areas lacking that need attention first.

We all know I'm very opinionated but I'm now an RO so that qualifies me right :-P

The Historian is intended to preserve the history of USPSA. From the beginning to now. Not just so people can see pictures of a young goofy looking Rob Leatham instead of a geriatric goofy looking Rob Leatham. The hope is that we can also preserve what has been done before, what the reasons we did it are, and what happened as a result. A lot of things coming down the pipe are a result of decisions made by people who are long off the BOD. Some of them aren't even alive anymore. Heck, that's a reason to do it now. A lot of the pioneers of USPSA and IPSC are, well getting on a bit. If we pass on the opportunity to document our history now, it may not be around to do in the future.

I'm not saying it should be done at the exclusion of a webmaster or someone to add content to the website and social media sites. But that is a decision the ED can make without BOD approval and when I talked to Dave at the meeting he said the job announcement had just gone out to fill the position you want us to have.

Thanks for the clarification Chuck - sometimes all we see as members are the BOD minutes and it appeared that the Historian position was a "priority". I understand the need for us to document the history of the sport - but we don't need to do it at a risk of not keeping the current members up to date with social media and the website.

Carmoney - That dude rocks - I vote for him (not that I get a vote)

I think back issues of FS should be made available online for USPSA members. I was recently given a stack of old FS magazines and our history, believe it or not, is quite fascinating. I think this along with an historian would make for some very good reading.

What is truly amazing is the prices of custom guns have not changed all that much since the late 80's. The guns have advanced considerably but not the prices. Of course, looking at the prices of bullets then compared to now is downright depressing. i.e. Zero bullets $40 per thousand shipped! :surprise:

I think back issues of FS should be made available online for USPSA members. I was recently given a stack of old FS magazines and our history, believe it or not, is quite fascinating. I think this along with an historian would make for some very good reading.

They already are. http://www.uspsa.org/front-sight-archive.php

Just an FYI for those who don't know - There is a USPSA Front Sight Archive and it is a great way to kill a few hours. :D

http://www.uspsa.org...ght-archive.php

Notice there is a reward for the lone missing issue ==> Sept/Oct 1986.

The history of USPSA is pretty cool - Everything from the famous and not-so-famous personalities and characters who kept the organization moving forward at the national/regional/ and club level, to the hardware development and changes, to the rule changes - to me it's really fascinating. A lot of the history can be gleaned from reading the old Front Sights, but there is always the interesting back story that isn't commonly known in some cases and is lost.

And yeah, the price of a full house open gun in the late 80s was about 2k, so the prices have gone up some (maybe not if you take inflation into account)....but the prices of loading components and equipment has tripled. In all fairness, however, I remember buying jacketed bullets from Black Hills Shooters or Denny's for something like $100/2k carton and saving them like they were gold nuggets and only shooting them at matches that were "jacketed bullet worthy"...lead was way cheaper and what most club shooters used. $100 was a lot of money to me back then.

These days I feel fortunate to be able to shoot with some of the Old Guys who helped get this IPSICK thing going and get a kick listening to folks talk story about the early days. So, I like the thought of a historian.

Edit: Thanks Utraab - I type slow! ;)

Edited by Bamboo

While the link works, where do you find the archives by just going to the website? I have looked all over the front sight part of the site and don't see any mention of archives.

Edit to add: Found it where I did not expect to find it. Seems it should be in the magazine section to me?

Edited by Sarge

While the link works, where do you find the archives by just going to the website? I have looked all over the front sight part of the site and don't see any mention of archives.

Edit to add: Found it where I did not expect to find it. Seems it should be in the magazine section to me?

Why? The magazine section is open to non-members. It's another incentive to join.....

Why? The magazine section is open to non-members. It's another incentive to join.....

You are so right. I never looked at it that way. Thank you for pointing it out to me. I should have done much more research before posting my thoughts on the matter.

You are so right. I never looked at it that way. Thank you for pointing it out to me. I should have done much more research before posting my thoughts on the matter.

Yeah, Sarge... You should've eaten your vegetables!

Yeah, Sarge... You should've eaten your vegetables!

Indeed.

I was thinking about this the other day when I happened to see old information listing some of the people who had held positions in the past that I was ignorant of. It would be cool to have that available. Those who have gone before...

I should have done much more research before posting my thoughts on the matter.

I disagree Kevin! You got a few of us thinking about it -- and in my case I finally located where the link was on the website....

That's a good thing. Thank you for that....

Sorry if it read like I was piling on. I tend to reply -- one post at a time -- as I get caught up on the forum/threads after getting home from work.....